Feeding my fish

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by dogstar, 8 Dec 2008.

1. dogstar

dogstar

Hi guys,

I need some advice from you about feeding my fish.

I have 2 percular clowns (small) and 1 midas blenny.

I have Dr.Bassleers pellet food (small) and some brine shrimp and will be getting some flake food soon.

I need your help with the following:

1) How do i feed these guys? They dont seem to take the pellets if they float on the water surface - some get taken but most go down the overflow. And if i do submerse the pellets, often they drop to the bottom of the tank before my fish have had a chance to eat them, at which point i have to put more food in the tank.

2) Do i reserve the brine shrimp as a once a week treat?

3) What is considered overfeeding? Surely the fish will stop eating once they have had too much? How else is overfeeding bad?

4) Seeing what food i plan to stock is this a varied enough diet?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Dogstar -

1) I would suggest washing your hands first, then taking some pellets/flake food, and dispersing it BELOW the water surface, in front of a power-head.... Marine fish does not generically like taking food from the water's surface...
    2) Yes - IF you have a huge skimmer, then you can increase the feeding of brineshrimp.....
    3) Overfeeding is feeding fish food that they cannot/does not eat. Meaning the food is wasted by the fish, causing possible detritus (due to the food "Rotting") which can in turn leach nitrates/phosphates into the water....
    4) For now - yes....

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

1. Let the pellets soak in tank water then add. Switch of your return pump. It will help.

2. You can feed daily.

3. Over feeding is when the fish do not cosume the food in 3-5 minutes. So try and keep it in that time limit.

4. Yes it is sufficient. However if the pellets are too large for the fish, try and get some flakes.

Hope it helps :)

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Sorry Jacques,posted together.

6. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

thanks guys.

A lot of food does get wasted. As i mentioned, it all usually falls to the bottom of the tank before the fish get to it or floats on the top and goes down the overflow.

How do i know when they have eaten enough? Because of the above, I am worried that sometimes they not eating enough food.

I think your suggestion of adding it infront of the powerhead should help - will get the food circulating around the tank a bit.

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

My 2c worth,

I have found that my fish each like a particular type of food more than another brand .... the clowns for example like a small pellet of a specific brand while the foxface prefers a flake type food ... perhaps buy the smallest packets of foods available and when you find something a particular inmate likes then buy biger packet ....

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Dogstar - perhaps turning the pumps off might assist in the pellets sinking much slower....

I also tend to rub some flake or pellets between my fingers until very fine, that the fish all smell the food.... and only when they are around, I actually feed.....

I have 19 fish - and gazillions of worms/pods and quite a lot of hermit crabs in my tank - so, in my case, IF the pellets drops to the bottom, they MOSTLY get eaten....

Fish can go 14 days without food. I have heard of reefers who only feed once every two days.... I feed only in the evenings.
    My fish have gotten to know when I feed - and start coming to me, when I stand on one side of the tank to feed.....

Just be patient - this too will happen with you at some stage.... :)

9. dogstar

dogstar Thread Starter

thanks for the tips guys

Recent Posts