Feeding my Copperband Butterfly

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ChrisNell, 1 Sep 2009.

1. ChrisNell

ChrisNell

All

I have not posted lately, but I a a keen Marine enthusiast - learning every day. I have a 500l display, 200l sump with TS2 in-sump skimmer, chaeto, DSB, and small algae scrubber. Setup about 10 months old - all parameters looking good.

Some problems with aptisia, so I bought a Copperband three weeks ago. He took his time, but sorted out these pests slowly but surely. When I bought him, the LFS assured me that the copperband is being fed Artemia without problems. Unfortunately, I have not seen him take a single nip at these. At feeding time, he actually joins the action, swimming around between the food, but does not take any. He still looks very healthy, and is constantly browsing the reef. Also no bullies around, so he is very relaxed, and does not even hide or swim away when somebody approach the display.

I do not want to lose him - are there any suggestions on what I can try?

Thanks
    Chris

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rolien

rolien

Live or frozen brine shrimp.

4. Boendoe

Boendoe

Yip live brine shrimp will be your best bet

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Chris - the copperband butterfly will eat the pods in the tank when it is hungry. Only if you don't have enough pods breeding to sustain the CBB, will the poor fish start to starve.
    You should also try and entice the fish to eat, with bloodworm, musselmeat, other plankton (meaty), etc.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Or get other Marines close by with aptasia problems,
    and rent him out.:)

They bring the Aptasia infected rock to you.

7. ChrisNell

ChrisNell Thread Starter

To all reefers with Aptasia problems

As a result of recent consulting provided by Riaan, I now have the following exciting opportunity for you all to get your Aptisia removed:

1) free of charge
    2) by a very experienced individual - a Copperband Butterfly
    3) he has an excellent track record
    4) shows tireless dedication in his job

O, I am in Pretoria :)

8. FransSny

FransSny

Chris, i have loads of pods (been keeping a mandarin for a year now), also loads oif aptasia...just bring him to me

9. magman

magman

Chris, try placing a small muscle in the rocks, cut it in half and place in the rocks

10. Achilles

Achilles

bloodworm is a great starter food to get copperband's feeding mine is with me for 5 years now and at first all he would eat were the pods in a the tank and bloodworm now he even eats nori lol

11. crispin

crispin

i would be worried about that fish to be honest. the fact that he looks ok is a good sign but without a sustainable food source they can drop very quickly. i would suggest placing him in your sump and trying a variety of foods. The suggestions above are all good especially the blood worm krill and musell (Just a side note to the mussels, if her starts to take the meat out the shell before the hermitts, wrasses and everything else can get to it, then leave it in the shell with a small slit opened and he will use his mouthto go in a little. gives him more time, but i would still rather you placed him in sump to get it feeding so he doesnt have the competition) . let him feed where there is no disturbance or competition. i would first try live brine, easy to culture and the movement always sparks their intrest. then add some frozen brine or krill while you have some live brine in the water. that normally gets them onto a frozen diet. also go back and double check with the LFS what THEY were feeding, ask to see the packet.

aptasia is not really a sustainable food source.

if you dont get that fish feeding soonish (id go with two weeks or so) as in ACTIVLEY hammering things you put in the water, please take frans offer seriously. you may well need to rehouse that fish or risk loosing it to starvation.

i had a 1.8m display and 150kg of LR with a large pod population. That still wasnt enough to sustain an activley hunting pair of butterfly's (CBB and long nosed butterfly).

please work hard with getting that fish to feed or it is in grave danger;(

12. coral diver

coral diver

CBB are hard to figure what they want to eat out due to the way they are collected from the wild, You have to make sure that the fish eats some thing at the LFS before you pay them, try one at the time the following misys, blood worm, brine, prawn egg and once he bite on some thing that's it he will live, Mine only eat Misys but sometimes I fool him i mix his misys with my home made frozen fish food.

13. Furbz

Furbz

hey, i'm in pta and have a huge aptasia problem. if he is eating them i would love to take him off your hands!

Recent Posts