feeding mandrin dragnet pods from refuguim

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandrin, 29 Dec 2011.

1. mandrin

mandrin

h guys
    is this a good idea
    i have a nano tank ..wondering if it would b good idea to rotate the live rock from my refuguim to main tank to keep a mandrin happy and well ...like rotatin live rock evey month .....
    ok jus use one piece of live rock from refuguim and one from main tank and rotate
    will this be a good idea ....has any one tried it wit succes
    wats your thoughts;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jayceew

Jayceew

Hi

I have one in a 400l system with about 45kg of live rock and he still destroyed the Pod population within 2 weeks. I thus had to train him to take frozen food and eventually pellets to sustain him. It wasn't easy and took many hours, very stressful and I wouldn't recommend it. This is not a fish for nano tanks.

Just my thoughts, good luck.

4. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

How did you train your Mandarin to eat frozen and dried foods sir :blush:

5. Jayceew

Jayceew

It was quite a process, very irritating when the fish didn' t want to do what I thought was simple! To briefly explain my process, I started feeding him with live brine shrimp which he loved, then started mixing the frozen brine shrimp with the live which fooled him into taking the frozen in between the live. I then stsrted mixing mysis frozen with the brine. After successfully getting him to take the frozen I followed the same process by mixing small sized formula one pellets with the frozen. Took some time but the process eventually worked. I do believe there was a degree of luck involved so I would strongly encourage people to not go this route believing it is a definate.

oceanic boy and Mc like this.
  6. 2balive

2balive

Take a look in this month's Coral magazine, there is a number of articles on keeping Mandrin's in Nano's.

Summary, if it is not tank raised and eating frozen food, then it is hard work to train it.

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

Also remember that a mandarin in a small tank makes the tank a high nutrition tank. i used to keep a mandarin in a 50 l nano but he ate frozen brine shrimp. i fed him live brine shrimp for a week so that he could develop a taste for it while he was housed in a small breeding tank and then i bombed the tank with lots of live brine shrimp for a week and then i alternated live with frozen and then went onto frozen. kinda eat it or starve. he ate for 11 months. make sure you do not have any aptasia in tank. it multiplies crazily in a tank dosed with brine shrimp. or you can make a mini brineshrimp feeder the details are on this site somewhere. i did a write up about it at the time with methods et

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

9. Tony

Tony

That's pretty much how I trained my anthias to take prepared food but I used plancton instead of brine shrimp

10. Jayceew

Jayceew

Reading my "method" again now it sounds quite simple, but thinking back it was quite a messy process. It caused havoc with the tank as I was seriously over feeding most days to try and convince him to take the food.

The article in the Coral mag as mentioned earlier also mentions similar methods to train the Mandarins.

11. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

well guys will read tbe article
    ps mandrin a gorgous fish . . love to have him
    but also dont wana make him starve
    thanks guys
    so nobody has tried the rotation method
    wit live rock from refuguim

12. Mc

Mc

I have also used this method it takes a lot of patience as it was a long time before my mandarin even looked at the frozen food but definately worth it, Im still working on the flakes.

13. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Thanks for all the advice.

When I first got my Mandarin over 4 months ago I tried the methods mentioned above. To no avail though. Either my guy is super stubborn or there are enough Copepods in the tank and he has never been hungry enough to try frozen food.

Would still love to know where I could buy more Copepods or other small Crustacians for hium to hunt and eat :thumbup:

14. Mc

Mc

It took me about 3 months to get mine eating frozen food.

15. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Maybe thats it then :blush:

Recent Posts