Feeding Jawfish Goby

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by shiks, 24 Jan 2012.

1. shiks

shiks

I picked up a pair of Jawfish abt 2 months ago ......they werte fat and healthy for abt a month and over the last couple of weeks i have noticed a drop in body fat....they looking kinda lean now ...almost like all the puppy fat has gone .....

am really concerned that they arnt eating well enough.....they do sift sand but might not be getting quality chow

my question :

Any tips or tricks in trying to fatten them up again and get them to chow ....

Tank is over 2 years old..no predators or any other fish bug them really ...light cycle is 7hours a day...gravel dosnt go through any algae blooms anymore but i have consdidered burning the lights more to get some growth but its at the risk of stressing out the corals ......

I called LFS and they said they have a higher chance of survival in an established tank than they would back at LFS cos most of the tanks are bare or gravel free with not much to feed on .......

A suggestion was to try some of the reef paste coral food spread on the gravel to encourage feeding .....

anybody have any other ideas

Thanks in advance
    Shiks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I don't have any, but here is some Info for you to go thru...hope it helps...
    Let's Jaw About Jawfish by Henry C. Schultz III - Reefkeeping.com

A Jawfish Primer: A General Care Guide on Marine Fish from the Genus Opistognathus | Suite101.com

DreamAquatic.com - Blue Spot Jawfish Goby - Opistognathus rosenblatti Goby - Bluespotted Jawfish Goby - Buy Cheap Blue Dot Jawfish Goby at Wholesale

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Definitely due to a lack of food on the substrate, my advice is to sell one, that way the one that remains will have no more competition for food and will hopefully fatten up a bit. Do they take prepared foods at all? These sort of fish do not do well in tanks that are run on low nutrients for the corals benefit.

Why do you think your corals would stress out if they received more than 7 hours of light a day?

5. shiks

shiks Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Belinda, from what i have read i have not been spot feeding any meaty foods, will try to pick up something from LFS to give it a go ....

Just moved over to a system of T5 + MH as opposed to just T5s only .......have slowly transitioned the corals over getting used to the MH as opposed to shocking them....i guess they would be fine with more light , think i just being cautious for now to not rock the boat

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Cool, definitely try and sell one, with running a low nutrient system there is barely enough food for one let alone two of those fish. That paste might be a good idea, try a couple of different food types and see if they'll go for one. You may need to feed a bit heavier but then this will unbalance your low nutrient system. Catch 22.

7. jonno

jonno

i had the same problem with mine, even with heavy feeding the other fish would clear the food before the goby could get a chance to feed. i took a syringe attached a piece of air line tubing and cable tied a thin rigid plastic thingy i got off an old kite to hold the airline rigid, i feed my goby a mixture of blood worm, marine mix and mysis, it takes about a week for him to get used to the pipe and every time he gets close i give it a squirt, it takes a bit of time but works well for me, he now knows to aproach the tube when the other fish are not around that way he gets it all to himself, also try to feed in the same spot and work it so that he is down current and the area is quiet (not crowded with other fish that will disturb them) when you squirt the food out.

hope this helps

Recent Posts