Feeding Hermits

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Quick question:

Have just fed my newly acquired hermits for the first time today.
Fed them a small piece of salmon (what I had in the freezer).

They seem to like it well enough and are actually making gluttons of themselves.

Now: How varied should the diet of the hermits be ? ( vegetable matter , meat etc.)

Also , I'm currently planning on feeding them every 2nd day. Don't want them to really get any bigger as they will then start posing a problem in my Nano.

Comments ?

Apollo - no - you don't need to "spoil" the hermits like that... they are scavengers... they are in your tank because they are supposed to "clean up" after the fish - to eat what the fish does not eat.....

But - IF it makes you feel better - feed them.... anything that you would feed your fish.... BUT, just take heed NOT to overfeed the tank!

Last edited:
Agree with Jacques, no need to feed these creatures if you have a fish population that you are feeding.

They will eat the algae in your tank as well at waste lying on the substrate, as far as i remember they are second line creatures...fish being line and would need feeding then your second line creatures would eat the waste of the first line, this is also the reason u can have lots more hermits etc in a tank than fish cause they dont effect the bioload. lol am i sprouting nonsense here? Just remember getting told this when i started my tank.

Kunhardt - very interesting points you making. Never heard it being put THAT way before.
They do indeed add to the bio-load of the tank, BUT so little that the numbers have to be HUGE HUGE before it can affect the water so badly that you have to upgrade your filtration system, or remove some of them.....

Kunhardt - very interesting points you making. Never heard it being put THAT way before.They do indeed add to the bio-load of the tank, BUT so little that the numbers have to be HUGE HUGE before it can affect the water so badly that you have to upgrade your filtration system, or remove some of them.....

Lol sorry Jacques, couldnt quite getting my wording out there, but maybe i got what i was trying to say out :)

Back
Top Bottom