Feeding fish vegetables?

Wouldn't Roman lettuce be a bit old??:lol:

David Saxby uses 3 or 4 romaine lettuces every day in his tank, and swears by them, but i have heard that as they are not a natural marine food there is lots of research to show it has no nutritional goodness to the fish.

Yip it can be done, Tangs and other veggie eaters will eat almost any form of vegetation.

But I prefer to feed their natural food, so feed them Seaweed, available from your LFS in Red, Green and Brown.

I would not recommend that because of insecticides and other nasty stuff in them. I would say feed greens of marine origin too be safe. You get veggie pellets these days and nori (dried seeweed) is very cheap and you should get it from Woolworths Food. Just keep it sealed in the fridge after opening to preserve the nutrients. Most tangs, blennies and other herbivoris fish will eat it - even snails ;)

Nori work a charm, get a Veggie Clip and feed them some every day

Don't know about feeding fish vegetables.

But Hermits : Yes , according to most sources I've read it is in fact recommended that Hermits be fed on a varied diet of vegetables ( & fruits) such as carrots , lettuce and in some cases grapes. Carotene is supposedly one of important nutrient to hermits.

Can't see why certain fish would'nt also benefit from this practice.

Just my 2c worth

banana and garlic also work

Carrots, lettuce, banana, grapes etc don't grow in the ocean :whistling:

i know, but read on RC that banana and garlic help fish eat, something to do with enzymes etc, will look for the article

The digestive system of a fish is NOT designed to "process" vegetable matter of terrestial origin. Thye might obtain some nutrients from certain fruit & veg, but it falls far short of the value of marine vegetable matter.....

Strange though how my fish love blannched herb leaves......

I saw at Pet and Outdoor (Pretoria East), they feed their big display lettuce. And they go crazzzeeeeeee.

Tried with my old tangs. nope they ignored it. But they did like their nori.

Banana

When I was having trouble acclimitizing a blue face trigger a few weeks ago the guys from reef central all recomended banana/garlic. Didn't work for my new addition (sadly he died:() but I through a few pieces into my DT and oh boy did the sailfins and other tangs go crazy for the banana.:yeahdude:

Thanks guys, I do have the nori stuff, just wondered what else you could feed veggie eaters to vary their diets if they don't take to nori or flakes.

Wow, Irie, what made you go down the blanched herb leaves route?

Omega One makes veggie pellets if I'm not mistaken :)

Wow, Irie, what made you go down the blanched herb leaves route?

If its good for i and i, its gotta be good for i fish .......

The digestive system of a fish is NOT designed to "process" vegetable matter of terrestial origin. Thye might obtain some nutrients from certain fruit & veg, but it falls far short of the value of marine vegetable matter.....

Which is why tangs eat loads and **** loads, they quite often eat their own poo (or each others) to give it another whirl past the ol' digestive system in an effort to get the most out of it.

Back
Top Bottom