Feeding blue cheek goby

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Peanut, 9 Dec 2008.

1. Peanut

Peanut

Hi Guys

Eventually ID's my fish as part of clean up crew.

Blue cheeked Gobby.

Problem I have is this little guy is extremely shy. Been in hiding since Sunday. Have not seen him outside his hole yet.

I am worried he is starving.

LFS did not indicate I need to feed him, but I have read you might have to give them flakes.

Please help out here. If I have to feed, what type and make do I get.

Tx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Try out some frozen marine mix. Contains lots of different foods all in one, this should help out. Also remember, evertime he is playing around in the substrate, he is feeding on the pods present. How old is your system?

4. marine101

marine101

Oh hear we go again. Nie al wee nie mense!

5. marine101

marine101

I think we should do some primary prevention?

6. Peanut

Peanut Thread Starter

Problem, I have not seen him playing around yet - he just hides in his hole under the rock.

Tank is 4 weeks in cycling process.

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Tank is still a bit too young. What are your current water parameters Peanut?

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

A blue cheek goby is not part of a clean up crew. It sieves fine substrate for pods and critters living in there and not fish waste as some people might think. It needs a mature tank. 4 weeks is way too short to add fish anyway IMHO. If it doesn't except frozen or other food, it will starve to death :(
    I would recommend that another reefer with a mature tank keep it for you until your tank is ready for it :)
    Now lets see those water parameters...

9. crispin

crispin

Peanut i would say that tanks still to younge to have fish in it. As you know water parameters are a very good indication, but with fish like a goby who eats by shifting through substrate they need a large healthy pod and critter population. Ina younge tank thats possibly not established yet.

Def try frozen marine food, althoigh i would also get some live brine shrimp. put them in a little at a time and see if he reacats. you can also slow the shrimp down by keeping the bag of water in the fridge a while (two or three days).

As the tank is new, with a light bio load to process and eat food, only feed small amounts for now:)

10. crispin

crispin

Tobes i would normally agree with you, but ones first fish is always special and i think we can try a few things to get the fella to feed first. peanut certainly seems very dedicated to keeping things alive, but Peanut, tobes is actually spot on, you should place that is an applicable system untill yours is ready. so if you dont see him feed well and enthusiastically soon, then think of asking someone to host him for you:)

11. Al

Al

Try frozen Krill, my Blue cheek goby loves it. I feed him half a block everyday. He also likes Frozen Mega marine mix.

12. Peanut

Peanut Thread Starter

Thanks Cripsin & Tobes

I think I am tending to agree with you guys that I was too hasty to put in a clean-up crew.

I have just lost my snail :(. He went to snaail-heaven yesterday. Can anyone possibly explain why (he was happily feeding on the algea on the back of my tank on Tuesday night, then on Wednesday morning I found him upside down - today still no movement - so I checked and found him dead)

However :thumbup: news is that the goby seems to be feeding at night. Reason I say this is that I have fine subtrate (sand) all over my rocks this morning.

I will however get some frozen mix for him tomorrow.

Hermit crab seems to be doing well.

My water paramaters on Monday morning were as follows:

PH = 8
    KH Alkalinity = 7
    Amonia = <0,01 mg/l
    Nitrite = 0,02 mg/l
    Nitrate = 2 mg/l
    Calcium = 430
    Magnesium = 1340

I am going to test later this afternoon again.

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

The goby will sieve the sand cause thats what they do to feed, but in your case he will not get any food or nutrition from the sand as it is not mature and rich enough with critters. So if you don't feed him he will starve to death slowly :(
    Snails(gastropods) are even more sensitive to different water parametres than fish, especially salinity and temp - that's why proper acclimation is so important ;)

14. crispin

crispin

i agree tobes there. how did you drip the new tank mates to let them acclimatise? perhaps if you tell us how you did it we can help to see if you did anything wrong:)

nice to know the hermit is going strong, any sign of being able to get live brine for the goby yet?

15. Peanut

Peanut Thread Starter

1. Goby - :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Got live brine shrimp last night for him. He was feeding early this morning and not as shy as previously. I am going to get some frozen mix for him this week-end.

He is so cute. Found a hiding place under a rock and when he is done feeding, he goes into his home and covers the opening with sand.

2. Hubby did the acclimatisation (I was working). Left guys in the bag in water tank for about two hours. Then every 10 mins added a tot glass of water to bag. About another hour later, took guys out of bag and placed in tank.

3. I think one of two things caused my snail to die. (1) temp on Tue in tank climbed to 27.8, then when we got home, added ice block of RO water and put portable aircon on tank to drop temp - probably too fast fluctuation in water tem for snail, or (2) the algae on back of tank he was eating was not good for him.:(

I have told hubby, no more livestock in tank until after Xmas....;)

16. Apollo

Apollo

Peanut,

Well done on getting the goby to feed !

Insofar your tank temperature is concerned:

Is there any ventilation during the day where the tank is standing ?( Overhead fan , window etc.)

My Nano's (58 liter) temperature has remained fairly constant over the past 5 days . It varies between 26 deg at night to approx 27 deg when the outside temperature is above 31. I have an overhead ceiling fan in the lounge which is on permanently. This seems to control the temperature very well, without a need for opening the tank lid.

I keep all windows and doors closed during the day, so as to prevent the outside ambient from influencing the temperature indoors too much.
    The only drawback with this, is that I sometimes come home to find the lounge smelling strongly of the sea .... He he

I have two snails in the tank ( they came with the LR , and appeared two days ago) and various sea fans , polyps and a couple of rock anemones. They all appear to be doing well with the temperature cycling between 26-27 deg.

Post some more pics of your tank .

:wave2:

17. crispin

crispin

great to hear he is feeding on live brine:) well done. thats step one.

now you need to teach the fella that frozen food is good too:) use the brine to get him feeding and then add some defrosted frozen marine mixc into the water. Not a lot as your tank is still very younge and you dont need to be stressing the biological filtration at the mo.

but well done so far:)

ps you need to get him to accept frozen food as brine doesnt have a great nutritional value to it and you mayfind at times its difficult to get (but easy to grow yourself) and thus you ahve a few days with no food for the fella. A freezer of food is far better:)

18. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If your tank is still cycling then you shouldn't be adding livestock.

Recent Posts