Feeding Angels

Discussion in 'Fish Only Tanks, Predator Tanks' started by Undergravel, 30 Aug 2010.

1. Undergravel

Undergravel

I have bought an angel called a "Cream Angel"Does anyone have any info on these.I can't get it to eat.It won't even get excited about mussels.I don't know if it is a difficult fish.I lost a Trimaculatus recently.This is now the second angel I got for free.Surely they can't all be difficult.Are there any angels that could be termed easy.I have a semi that eats well and a flame angel I have had for 4 years.I even collected some zoos to try and entice it to eat.HELP!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Hi Undergravel

Do not know that angel...perhaps you can give us a picture or a better description

You can try feeding her....Scallops or Mozambique clams

4. FransSny

FransSny

A. Xanthirus, one of the tougher angels around. will / should eat a wide variety of foods both meaty & leafy.

As said, clams work well or fish roe, if you can find lobster roe ...1 st prize

5. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Also try live brine shrimp to start it feeding. Squashed, shelled frozen peas, nori, bloodworm and urchins.

6. Undergravel

Undergravel Thread Starter

Thanks.I just went on google and it isn't a cream angel.It's a Singapore or Vermiculated angel.Chaetodontoplus mesoleucus.Most sites say it's difficult.Damn.I wish the shops knew what fish they bring in.Well I will just have to cross my fingures.Maybe that ocean nutritian angel diet will work.

7. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Depening from where they guys import them...all the Vermic's that we have imported all ate 3 days after landing.

Always good to let the shop show you that the fish eats before you purchase it...this is key.

Try to dip the food in Seachem Entice or Brightwell garlic guard.

Best of luck...keep us posted....deff get some scalops!!!!

8. FransSny

FransSny

Trev has one , took a bit of time after moving from me to him but it ate. Think he used white mussel (trev correct me if I am wrong)

9. Trev

Trev

Thanks Frans UG pm'd me on the dark side

I found black mussel to always be the key with these fish. And yes undergravel they are the most difficult fish I have ever come across with regards to getting eating they ether start eating withing a day to 3 or 4 but if not by then, then you have a problem case of note. I think I have only lost one of these fish due to not eating but I have had battles of note with others who were stuborn as can be but eventualy came around alby it on the LAST straw. I have plenty grey hairs from this species LOL. But they are worth it 100% the best medium size angel of all they are. Although they are maily polyp munchers in the wild they are serious protein lovers. And nothing builds reserves like protiens. As I said on the pm UG even though are mostly thinsh fish they can last for really long periods without a munch. And another important thing is that they seem to be very active night time feeders I often would leave half a mussel in the QT tank and find it pritty much devoured the next morning. But the big Q here UG is, is the fish in a QT system or is he in a display.

Trev

10. durleo

durleo

if you jus got him then he probably isnt gonna jus eat now - give him some time and then feed him

11. Undergravel

Thanks Trev.I will have to persevere.As you say though he is definately more active later on.He is pecking a mussel now but the other fish are boisterous.He is in the display because I thought I was getting an easy fish.I had a cream angel in the 80's and he was easy.I wish the shops would educate themselves.I will have to pray.I suppose I should have a QT if I want to get involved in fancy fish.I should of stuck to corals.I was hoping he would nip the zoos and ricordias,ears,star polyps.My auriga doesn't even eat them.

12. Trev

Trev

Ok its a pitty he is now in the display cuase as you say the other fish are eating machines and also the new guys is unlikely to get an invitation to sit down to dinner and this is the real problem. The best to do in this situation is to put way more than enough mussel in so that the chances him getting a good few precious seconds to nip at the mussel without much pressure. Then remove the mussel again after a few hours to minimize the chances of spoiling your water. Bets of luck. Trev

13. magman

magman

go to Marco, get his angel mix, break it up (is like a gel) and put it in the rocks, my queen only likes frozen, also try nori in the rocks where it swims, is it pecking under any rocks? If it is no worries then. Just try not to panic or overfeed (I know it's hard not too)

14. Undergravel

Ok. My Angel is getting slowly braver.Trev is right about the late feeding.Lot more active and braver after 8 when the MH goes off.He is picking from the LR and zoos and investigating all the fuss when I feed nori and Hikari.He is joining in with all the bullies when I put in a muscle.So it's looking hopefull.What a stunning fish.

15. Trev

Trev

Awsome bud glad you got him better now. You are right WHAT A STUNNING FISH wait until his colors really come out after he is 100% healthy I have always had a soft spot for these fish. You will find that once they settle inn they become very agressive eaters and are extreemly bold mine chases big triggers 5 x its size away from its cave. Just keep loading him with proteins it will help him better than anything at the moment

Trev

16. Trev

Trev

For those who dont know what fish we are taliking about here is a pic of one of mine

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Sep 2010
  17. magman

magman

I thought that was a butterfly...:whistling:

18. Trev

Trev

Cheatodontoplus is very closely related to the butterfly family

19. magman

magman

20. magman

magman

Check the butterfly family, the Cheatodontoplus are all flys,

heres the butterfly link,

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+25

looks similar to the tahitian butterfly, I think the name of your fish is the Apolemichthys xanthurus (cream angel)

21. chikaboo

chikaboo

I think this ID is spot on ..... mouth is too well rounded to be a fly (more pointed)

Recent Posts