Feeding and growth of LPS

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Paul B, 15 Dec 2011.

1. Paul B

Paul B

I was just looking through some pictures from a couple of years ago and I noticed the progression of one of my Euphyllia type of corals.
    These are an easier type of coral to keep but I didn't realize it had grown so much because I see it every day.
    I think this first picture is about 3 years ago, then two years ago, then today.
    In the last picture the coral is about 10" across but most of it is in the dark and can't be seen.
    I feed this, and all my LPS clams almost every day and it seems to have a positive outcome on their growth. I also feed this coral pellets that I soak in fish oil.
    At first I had a problem with it as I do with all small things in the tank due to the urchin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I feed fresh clams (which I freeze) by slicing off tissue thin slivers. Clams are hard to cut and messy if they are not frozen. One chowder clam is about 75 cents and lasts a couple of weeks. All of my animals including the fish get clams as well as live worms. Clams are a very good food because they are one of the only foods besides mysis and worms where we can feed the entire animal and not just the muscle as what happens when we feed scalop, squid or fish fillets. Almost all of the nutrients are in the guts of the animal.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Dec 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

Sorry, double picture
    [​IMG]

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

thanks paul! :)

5. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Hay Paul, this is great info. I have to admit that I have started enriching the pellets that I feed (omega 1 with garlic) with fish oil (cod liver oil) and the fish are going nuts for it.

Just a quick question, how do you get the LPS to take the clam? Do you just place a piece by hand on it? Are the tentacles sticky enough to take it? And can you do the same with something like a fox corral?

I appreciate the help, and, having read your threads, find your work to be very thought provoking, and inspiring!! :thumbup:

6. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I use these to shoot the food into the tentacles. I also feed hammers and bubbles like that. The food will fall off if you just place it on the tentacles or the fish will eat it.
    [​IMG]

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Thanks paul! Always interested in your informative posts...
    Now about that book u mentioned on RC :)

8. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

9. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

Still thinking about that book.

Recent Posts