feeding advise

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by chikaboo, 3 Jan 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi all - what feeding advise could your'll give me - i have the ffg in the tank 1 x threadfin butterfly , 1 x kleineye butterfly, 1 x surgeon, 1 x damsel, 1 x coral banded shrimp, 1 x unknown damsel (greediest of all) - i got some mussel meat portions and peeled shrimp & peeled prawn from our Pick 'n Pay and a marine mix from pet shop also some slow sinking morsels and flakes - how often should these fish be fed ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

The fish can be fed 2-3 times a day but sparingly. The was no need to buy the marine mix if you already got yourelf the mussels, prawns etc.. You could just put that stuff in a blender along with some garlic and nori, place in a ice tray and make your own foods :)

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Keep in mind, when feeding frozen foods, allow the block of food to defrost in a tea strainer and the excess juices drained out before feeding.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin

The Kleinii butterfly needs meaty foods (shrimp, mussels etc) while the Threadfin needs his vegies (nori, asparagus, etc). You haven't mentioned the tangs/surgeons name so I cant comment but most tangs also feed on vegies. If you're making your own food, then try to incorporate all these together. If you're going to purchase frozen foods from your LFS, then you need to consider the different needs of your fish and get a good mix or 2/3 foods to meet all your fishes feeding requirements. The damsels are not particular about their food.

6. marine101

marine101

Variety is the spice of life! One word of caution though, homemade frozen can b tricky. Make sure u have the correct filtration equipment as they release a crap load of nutrients into the system, which can destabilse a small, new or inadequately filtered system. I use Omega flakes, pellets, Hikari frozen, nori and homemade frozen

Recent Posts