Feeding a CBB

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Pads, 9 Nov 2010.

1. Pads

Pads

I've had my CBB for 2 weeks now. It has taken to frozen brine but no dry food yet.
    The trouble is it gets very little brine as the tank mates are quicker and greedier.

Has anyone used a feed box for the CBB? See my sketch below.

[​IMG]

One would place frozen food in the box and only the CBB with its narrow jaws would be able to eat from it.

Would this work?, provided the CBB is not shit scared of it. Would it become dependent on being fed that way?

I suppose the box could have a suction cup mounted on it like the veggie clip fashion.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Not sure if the box will work, I think he might damage himself if the hole is too small and the box is too big. Brine shrimp alone is not enough nutrition for a CBB, please feed it frozen mysis and frozen krill as well.

4. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

Will do that, but feeding a variety of frozen brine, mysis and krill everyday is kinda fouling my tank.

I figured the CBB's snout is about 4-6mm in dia and 15-20 long, so if I had the box at 30mm squared it would allow the frozen food to separate and the CBB to pick it out. I'd need to smooth off the hole edges with a dremel, possibly make the box 20mm or 25mm squared.

At the mo my tanks are getting most of the chow so I'd like to be proactive it providing a way for the CBB to get its fair share.

5. viper357

It shouldn't foul your tank, I feed 6 blocks of frozen food every day and I'm not experiencing any problems?

Your idea with the box would probably work, as long as he doesn't have to go in too deep or go sideways too much to get the food and damage his snout.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

why not do it another way.
    Put the frozen food cubes in a glass with a bit of tank water to melt.
    Once done, stir it, then use a big syringe to suck in some water with the food.

First feed the other pigs some flakes.

Then slowly release a bit of frozen food at a time, close to the CBB, and close to the rocks. Take your time. CBB will learn that the big syringe brings food. And it willget its share.

7. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

Oh, I was under the impression that once thawed the juice was packed with phosphates? Am I supposed to strain it before adding to the tank? All of these things we say we do but couldn't be bothered.

Do you feed a combination of frozen, flake & pellet or separate servings? How many fish are you feeding? In what volume tank?

8. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

Turkey baster? Nice Idea, I didn't think of that. Also helps the CBB to relax when I'm at the tank.

9. rakabos

rakabos

ALWAYS drain the juice, i nuke my frozen mysis for a few seconds and then the juice just runs off into the basin, then ure left with the dry-ish shrimps ready to be fed

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I do not drain it, else the syringe / turkey blaster idea does not work.
    Skimmer goes crazy for the next half an hour.
    And your smaller fliter feeders also do need food.
    So no harm on my tank.

11. viper357

I feed 3 frozen blocks in the morning and 3 frozen blocks in the evening. Each serving consists of 1 enriched brine shrimp, 1 mysis and 1 krill. What I do is an hour before feeding time I pop 3 blocks onto a saucer and leave them to defrost, once defrosted I tip the saucer slightly so that the majority of the juice empties into the sink, this leaves a little bit of juice, as RiaanP says, for the filter feeders in the tank, I don't rinse at all, I then drop all 3 defrosted blocks and juice into the tank at once, this allows every fish to get a bit of food as it spreads all over the tank, whereas if you feed little bits at a time you will find the shy fish seldom get any food due to the more boisterous fish. I am feeding 10 fish in a tank and sump about 320 litres.

12. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

I won't go that bos but I'll up my feeding a little. As though my tangs need and more, the three little piggies. I've got 12 fish in 480l incl sump. Tank and skimmer may not be as effective/mature as yours but an extra portion of frozen may do no harm. Shot ;)

13. Adee

Adee

I place 4 cubes in a tiny net...and let it thaw out, rinse under the tap for a few seconds and then pop in the DT with some flow. Flow spreads the food (mysis and krill) all over the tank....enough time/places for the CB to snap up what he needs. I have this one for about two years now. I;ve also added a piece of aptasia ridden live rock to the tank...he has yet to take a nip, funny thing was when I got him....he cleared the tank of aptasia. proof these fish will learn/get accustomed to feeding regimes. And if you only know the number of fish I have in my tank....he has to compete with.

Last edited: 10 Nov 2010
Recent Posts