Feedback on "Hostile Take-over"

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Giepie, 17 Mar 2009.

1. Giepie

Giepie

Hi all
    Been just over 2 weeks ago that I took over (by force) a 60L Nanno from a person who clearly didn't know how to take care of a Marine aquarium. I took it over with no knowledge of Marines, but had a lot of help from MASA to guide me.

It was bad news all the way when one of the forum members got to the tank to test the water. Salinity was at 1.043, Ph was at 7.2, nitrite was way off the chart... Just for starters... Well, in the mean time I got myself a floating Hydrometer, T5 blue light (to go with the spare white light that I had of my FW system), my own Nitrite test kit, a lot of RO water, some Nitro-nil from my LFS to combat my Nitrite problem naturally and some bicarbonate of soda. Now after 2 weeks, I'm glad to report the following readings to the forum:
    • Ph - 8.0
    • Salinity - 1.022
    • Nitrite is hovering between 0.3 & <-0.3 on the chart
    • Temp: 26-27 degrees
    The two little clows (1 Clarkii, 1 Maroon) are more like fish today since I took over ownership. The first week was a case of "blackmailing" them with food to see them swim around, but now, they do what fish do best: Swim around, poop, eat and entertain me a lot by displacing the gravel...

I also learnt that having 2 different species of clows are not good, but I have to admit... these 2 like to "test" each other... Feeding time the Clarkii will be the one who dominates, but it will be the Maroon who comes up first... They both love a camera, so all I do is to just leave it next to the tank... for when I see something nice... They are developing their own little personality - The Clarkii chases the bubbles and the Maroon like to swim the current of the powerhead I have. The Clarki also hates the floating Hydrometer... will nibble at it the whole time that I'm trying to take a reading... Also learnt that if that is the case, to remove water into a container long enough for the Hydrometer to float in... I'm into this hobby and I think this is a permanent move from FW... It's going to be a slow process, but what the heck, Rome wasn't built in one day... and with MASA behind I don't think I can go wrong...

I could not have done all this, could not have learnt all I have without this forum... :)
    Tobes & jaquesb: Thanks for all the info, tips and links... :thumbup:

A special thanks to Amalick for the first few tests, ro water and most importatnly the 1.7m tank as well as an educational weekend about engine rooms, the whole biology of Marine tanks (all the relationships between chemical compounds in water and how they work together as well as against each other). I havent learnt so much in such a short time since... ... my schooldays:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

For the rest of the forum, here's an updated pic on my little nano:
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Awesome Giepie! Thanks for the update man! And to help - is what we are here for - to help, assist and share!

Now - good luck with the rest of your journey into marines - may it be a MUCH better and FAR more "relaxing" adventure!

4. Falcon

Falcon

leka man hope you know about the other water parameters that are important?

i.e nitrate,po4 etc

5. crispin

crispin

great to hear an update:) looking good and glad things are comming right:)

6. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Oh yes, it's something even the old lady (I'm also taking care of my 77 year old mother) will like. Took her to the 2Oceans Aquarium yesterday for her birthday & first visit & she had fun... She was a bit sceptic about the "1.7m tank in my room" idea, but after yesterday, she's silent... I have her "stamp of approval" so to say...

My only problem is my budget... It's so tight that I'm being forced to do this in baby-steps... But baby-steps is also progress...;)

7. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

... and the whole thing about Ph & CO2... not just the CO2 in the water, but also the amount in the air... all about the good, the bad & the ugly...

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

You 100% right Giepie. And don't you worry - many reefers have a "tight budget".... Yes - it does help to have a wee bit more to spend on the tank. But, you don't HAVE to spend that much.
    Just take it VERY slow, and as you say - "baby steps". If you need something, rather DIY it, or have a look at the Classified Ads. Or place an advert in the "Wanted" section.
    Believe me - you can get to a decent tank, without a HUGE amount of money...

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

Glad to hear its all got better, always good to hear that there are people new to the hobby that can tell when something is absolute BS:) by the way you have a tomato and a clarkii. that is not a maroon:)

10. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

Sorry scubaninja, I read up somewhere that the tomato clows is a.k.a maroon... I'll find the link and post it as well... But with my beginner's luck... I'll be way wrong... May have mis-read a line...:lol:

In fact, I was getting these wonderfull ideas for the inherrited 1.7m tank... to have a clown tank... Apparently, that's not a funny idea as clowns of different species don't tollerate each other... In fact, I'm planning the typical "beginner setup"... LR and fish... I was busy scoping who will tollorate who when I came accross the a.k.a....

11. Falcon

Falcon

nope tomato is not a maroon clown,maroon clowns are much darker and have three stripes normally while tomatoes are more red with only one stripe...

google "maroon clown" for images and you'll see what i mean.then google "tomato clown"

12. crispin

crispin

i think you may have seen "maroon clown a.k.a axe murderer, or devils best friend etc" which is just a referance to their agresive nature NOT an name we call them:)

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Good to hear all is going well Giepie! Glad we could help - that's why MASA is such a success, because we help each other, not just on the forum, but after hours with certain things as well amongst the reefers. I am so proud to be part of this, and with people like you willing to learn makes it so much easier and really worth it. So, give yourself a pat on the back for taking on the responsibility to save these fishies ;)
    Can't wait to see your reef one day :)

14. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

... my appolgies to the pro's...:Angel_anim:

Scubaninja, Falcon, Crispin... You were all right... Googled the 2 names and found 2 different species...

Tobes, thanks for the compliment, I couldn't have done it without this forum... So a pat on the back to you all too...:thumbup:

While I was Goggling, I found a site that was very interresting... Different species of Marines and a brief discription, location, habitat, etc... This will also help me to determine who's going to go into my new tank once everything is set up... Have a look at this: World of Marine Aquariums -Saltwater Fish

15. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If you go back to your first "hostile take over" thread you'll see in post no 10 I already told you that the one is a clarkii and the other one a tomato :p
    So, you, scuba, falcon and crispin must have been speed reading :lol:

16. crispin

crispin

you see tobes its the WAY you say things. all that pointing and stuff is distracting. we get the point across. late but heard:)heheh

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

:razz:

At least my "hand" is catching your eye - so the newbies will most likely read the link - mission accomplished :)

18. crispin

crispin

:iagree:
    :finger: but my hands quite eye catching too :)

19. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

:lol::lol:ROFLMAO :lol::lol:

20. scubaninja

scubaninja

well, if you had been so nice as to point this out in the first thread how come the error carried over hmm? you were clearly speaking in sign language
    :3::thumbdown::finger::045:

21. Giepie

Giepie Thread Starter

To come back to the issue of Tomato Clows also being known as axe murderers... I can add "Box Filter destroyer" to the a.k.a.'s...

My little Tomato kept me on my toes this weekend by kicking up gravel into the intake pipe of the box filter, jaming the pump... Now my Clarcii like's the bubbles of the box filter, so to keep him happy, I had to watch the tank the whole weekend... Is this kicking up of gravel a sign of breeding readiness, boardom or under-fed? I've removed the gravel away from the intake pipe this morning, because I don't want to get home tonight and see a box filter that burnt out...

Any feedback / advice will be appreciated... pleez...:confused1:

Recent Posts