Feather Dusters

Reaction score
Any idea what fish would eat feather duster - tube worm creatures ?

There is not one head left in my tank all gone, and this is from probably 100 different creatures.

Newly acquired fish (last 3 weeks) - Anthias, Copperband, Hawkfish

And should I even care, are the fish doing what they would normally do.

Reaction score
I have him eating all sorts of stuff. He loves my 0.1mm pellets, live brine and frozen Mysis shrimp (spelling?) shrimp.

I got him the day after eliminating my Aiptasia, so don't know if he eats that ?

Do the dusters recover or have they been killed off ?

Reaction score
i only got 4 feather dusters and one day all 4 got rid of their heads - i still do not know why - they were back again after a month i think.

dont know about the fish.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr - IF the worms themselves have not been killed/eaten, then YES - they should grow their "feathers" (crowns) back quickly (within a month or so).... And you should be counting yourself lucky if your CBB actually eats aptaisia.... These guys are few and far between....

Reaction score
i only got 4 feather dusters and one day all 4 got rid of their heads - i still do not know why - they were back again after a month i think.

dont know about the fish.
I am talking about the really small dudes not the bigger tube worms. My coral beauty is the big tube worm pruner, soon as they get to a certain size, she prunes away and the head falls off. Couple of weeks later grows back.

Reaction score
Warr - IF the worms themselves have not been killed/eaten, then YES - they should grow their "feathers" (crowns) back quickly (within a month or so).... And you should be counting yourself lucky if your CBB actually eats aptaisia.... These guys are few and far between....
I didn't buy him to eat aiptasia, but if he does great, if not, also cool. But with him taking a liking to feather worms who knows?

Reaction score
then it will depend if the animal is intact - but those small one could have been eaten - interesting to see what you find eating them.

thanks for the clarification by the way

Reaction score
OK, now I am getting upset, the copperband has now eaten all my tubeworms' heads.

Do they normally eat this ?

He has gone through about 200 featherdusters and 4 big tube worms

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Copperbands are notoriously non invert friendly, they prefer "real" food, which is why they don't take flake/frozen etc very well and die young.

Reaction score
Copperbands are notoriously non invert friendly, they prefer "real" food, which is why they don't take flake/frozen etc very well and die young.
So what else "live"is he going eat in my tank ?

Reaction score
very very freaky but ja in marine world alot of weird shit hapens coz i no if the aptasia is to big its not abel to eat it..but hey thers nothing u can do...only to take it back swap or bold a tank with fish only..

Reaction score
Nay, I keep him, he is really beautiful. Long as he not eating other creatures (other than the worms) no prob.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
He's part of the butterfly fish family, of course he's going to nail the feather worms, stop whining and start cultivating them in your sump on a piece of white 50mm pvc tubing so that he has a constant supply of food. :)

Reaction score
He's part of the butterfly fish family, of course he's going to nail the feather worms, stop whining and start cultivating them in your sump on a piece of white 50mm pvc tubing so that he has a constant supply of food. :)
Now that an idea, I have LR in my sump with loads on, so I just start doing a rotation pieces of rock - cool :thumbup: