Feather duster worms - Sabella crassicornis

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by seank, 6 Oct 2012.

1. seank

seank

I know I had this problem some years ago, but for the life of me cannot find the thread where I asked questions wrt these little things.
    Sooooo, gonna ask it again:
    I have zillions, same as last time, all over the sump, and now it starts to take over the display.
    Someone (years ago) mentioned to me a fish i can add to conrrol it, but i cannot remember the type of fish....

And please do not suggest any butterfly fish, as i do not want them in the tank.... It was another type of fish....

Please help with suggestion on fish.
    Thank you

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had a lot, especially on one big live rock piece.
    Anyway, since I moved everything into one tank, that was the first time the Narvarchus angel got to them. And, they gone... Plus my tank is Aiptasia free. Thanks to that Angel.

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/8/inverts

I could be wrong but I think a 6 line Wrasse will munch them..have to add..that not all do..:blush: I know the Thread you are talking about....alas...can't find it...not yet...:005:

PS:
    I should maybe look into one as I've got a Bristle Worm problem in my Tank...:eek:..:eek:

Last edited: 7 Oct 2012
  5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Again, you have taught me my master! The force is strong with you!

6. seank

seank Thread Starter

How reefsafe is that angel riaan?

7. seank

seank Thread Starter

Reefsafe angels in order of being "reefsafe" :

8. seank

seank Thread Starter

Pomacanthus navarchus

Often called the Majestic Angel, this species is truly deserving of the name. Its delicate, jaw-dropping beauty often leads to an impulse purchase by uninformed keepers. Not one of the more appropriate species for captivity, this is one of the most delicate Pomacanthids, and should only be attempted by veteran aquarists who have experience keeping other angel species. They are extraordinarily shy when first introduced, which exacerbates a prolonged period of acclimation. Feeding during this period is often problematic despite the fact that their diet in the wild is diverse.Pomacanthus navarchusTo aid their acclimatization to captivity, they should always be the first fish added to the tank (aside from a few dither fish mentioned in part 1). Not for the lazy keeper, or one who considers quarantine tanks a non-essential item! All warnings applying quarantine, acclimation and introduction in the previous installment of this article should be heeded in full with this species. Rarely growing larger than 8" in captivity, they can be kept in slightly smaller quarters as long tankmates are chosen wisely.Once acclimated, and if kept in a spacious tank of at least 180 gallons, this fish can be long-lived in captivity.

Aquarium Fish: Large Angels in the Home Aquarium, Part II Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

9. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

Strangely enough my purple Tang ate them all in a few days :lol:.... Had a six line and it did nt do anything besides take care of my bristle worms and other tiny parasites....

If there is one thing I would wana rid my tank of and it irritates the shit out of me is those worms that chuck out webs at feeding time....

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

@seank i would look at a copperband butterfly. They are perfect for the job and wont eat any of the other corals.... i knwo you dont like butterflies but look at these :)

I see the google queen once again starts a post with "i could be wrong but........" makes me not want to post on threads....

11. nepellew

nepellew

A raccoon fish will polish them in seconds

12. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Please stick to the topic.

13. seank

seank Thread Starter

Henk, the only reason i do not want a cb, is because i do not have success with them. Bought one at Northlands years back, survived half a day. Got one from Moolis, survived 1 day, bought another from Northlands a year or so later, same story, soooo, i decided against them. Got the 4th one from Durban last year, and it arrived dead as can be.... I decided to give up on the poor things

14. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Eish - thats not good. One of the "more" reefsafe pygmy angels might work but you always run the risk with them...

15. seank

seank Thread Starter

Were just looking at my pin cushion, base covered with the little f...rs...lol

16. seank

seank Thread Starter

Do not judge pic, this tablet cannot take nice pics.... I disturbed the pin cushion to close up so you can see how bad it is:

[​IMG]

17. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

eish - long nose butterfly or copperband....

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Of the bigger angels, its one of the most reef safe of the lot. Yeah, they are very shy in the beginning, and not for smaller than 300L at all. At least 500 or more. I had it a while in a 220L and its behaviour since it moved to the 750L is totally different. Used to hide away, now swims in the open. Eats everything, even Nori.

and yes, do QT the fish. I was too quick, only 4 weeks, and once introduced to the system, it broke out with whitespot also infecting the Scopa and Sailfin. Then I did the proper bucket method plus the 5 weeks in the holding tank. Since then, clean and healthy.

They change colours to adult form at a fairly young stage. So the change of you finding a juvenile form at LFS is extremely small.

Those feathers are excellent filter feeders / cleaners. Should move a rock or two without corals to you sump area. Where they can multiply on their own. See yours are the softer tube type. I had those with a harder shell like tube in the display. I got those softer ones in my QT holding system around the skimmer.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2012
  19. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Why do you want to get rid of the featherdusters? They do no harm and I think they look very nice in a reeftank.

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

check the pincushion. Obviously irritated.

21. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I'd break your butterfly rule and get a longnose...

Recent Posts