Fe Supplement

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Galibore, 20 Feb 2008.

1. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Hi Hennie,

I have read an article regarding the dosage of Iron in the reef tank. The theory as I understand it is that if you have macro algae, the macro algae will have accelerated growth from the Chelated Fe and thus take up more bad nutrients like Phosphate and Nitrate.

Do you have any experience with using an iron additive and what is your opinion about it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

sorry to butt into your corner again Hennie.it also accelarates nuisance algea aswell according to zeovit

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Interesting theory Galibore. Tagging along on this one...

5. Galibore

Galibore Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Well I think the point is that the macro algae will outcompete the Nuisance algae on phosphates or nitrates thus preventing it to grow. basically the same principle as using Vodka as a carbon source for bacteria to consume more bad stuff.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Gali - I think personally that this would work very well if one can isolate the Fe supplement to ONLY the area where the macro algae is growing (ie. in sump - by closing the complete water-flow).... Because the way I know nuisance algae - it WILL rather take up the Fe supplement and outgrow the "good macro algae" (ie. chaetomorpha) (the same theory actually exists regarding Magnesium, btw.... Read it somewhere, where they tried eradicating bryopsis nuisance algae)....

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

No, I don't. I have never dosed any iron supplements, as I believe that one should only dose what one can test.

I have read quite a lot about iron supplements, and believe that it could be beneficial in a system where iron is the limiting factor for macro-algae growth.

According to some experts the addition of iron could have the following benefits:
    • Increased macro algae growth, thus reducing the growth of nuisance algae.
    • Increased micro algae (diatoms?) growth, thus increasing the nutrient export capability of skimming, by removing a larger quantity of micro algae.
    • Improved colouration of certain SPS corals.
    • Prevention of sporulation events of caulerpa.
    • Reduction in the growth of cyanobacteria.
    I probably will start to dose an iron supplement if/when I can test for the iron concentration in the water - until then, I believe that the regular use of an iron-based phosphate remover adds at least *some* iron back into the tank.

Hennie

8. Galibore

Galibore Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Cool thanks for the info! I must say I haven't yet heard of an Iron test kit available for saltwater.

9. IMarine

IMarine

I agree with mekaeel

10. lIghty

lIghty

I'm sure my LFS has a Fe test kit, would it be for fresh water?

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

For both

Recent Posts