Faulty Salifert Nitrite Tests Anyone?

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Bendor, 15 Dec 2012.

1. Bendor

Bendor

I replaced my Salifert NO2 test after it showed zero continuously when Red Sea NO2 showed high values. Now the second Salifert also shows zero. Going to the lfs to recheck with Red Sea and both Salifert tests today.

Anyone else had any issues?:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I have a nitrate test kit from salifert that does the same thing. Took the water to be stested at the shop and they also used a salifert kit and got a reading. Seems like quality control is not what it should be. You waste 120 bucks on a kit that does not work. Its just a pity that most affordable test kits seem to be unreliable.

4. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

I paid R125 from one supplier and R175 at my lfs. Will get credit from both of them but now I have buyers remorse about the other Salifert tests I bought. NO3, pH, KH, Ca, PO4. I was advised against the Red Sea test kit but now that I have seen the two compared I think I should've gone with the Red Sea.

5. butcherman

butcherman Moderator

Kits not expired?

6. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

expiry dates are boldly written on top of boxes

7. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

No. They are both dated for late 2013.

I went to the lfs.

Red Sea nitrite also showed zero. This means my tank nitrite is zero and Salifert test no. 2 could in fact be working properly. (Test 1 was compared with positive nitrites of above 1 and definitely does not work).

We tested another new tank with 0.1 nitrite on Red Sea kit. Trialled Salifert test 2 again. Still showed zero. I returned the kit.

No I still have Salifert No3, pH, KH, Ca and PO4 at home but I have no confidence in these tests. I will continue to use them for now, but I'm going to change when they start running out.

Recent Posts