Faulty return pump

Reaction score
My tank has been running for a few days now and today I noticed that the water level in the overflow drops suddenly, sometimes below the durso inlet and then goes back up. Should I toss the pump?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I don't think it's the pump, I would be more inclined to say it's the Durso or somewhere else along the plumbing line.

Reaction score
I don't think it's the pump, I would be more inclined to say it's the Durso or somewhere else along the plumbing line.
Agree. Think it may be the Durso air inlet to small. Ends up siphoning instead of flowing

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll add another hole to the air inlet of the durso and see how it goes
Rather just make the current hole bigger. By turning the end cap you can manually adjust the air flow to find that sweet spot.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Before you drill more holes can you show us a pic of the top of your Durso so we can see if you can do what sunburst is suggesting?

Reaction score
Agree with the above, just enlarge the hole VERY SLIGHTLY (0.5mm - i.e. next drill size...).

For what it's worth, after some time (months...) you might find that the hole clogs up with calcium deposit or salt creep. It's good maintenance practice to clean the hole every few weeks, to prevent this.

Hennie

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Gaboon,

I added an airline tap to mine. Simply glued it into a hole I drilled. Works very well and is now adjustable.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Here is another possibility, by turning the endcap you adjust the airflow, but the best solution is still do as hennie says, get the right size by increasing the size a little at a time
65477dcca29b717.jpg

Reaction score
Yup mine does that too as salt packs on to the little holes. Just clean them out and it will stop. It also can happen if your plumbing has a negative angle - i.e. if somewhere you have a horizontal pipe that leans backward so that the water has to flow up against it. Also if you submerge your durso's outflow pipe too deep.