Faulty Float switches

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Munky82, 11 Dec 2010.

1. Munky82

Munky82

I've recently been having issues with float switches. The type with the floating plastic ring.
    My first float switch tripped the earth leakage whenever I switched off my skimmer and the water level raised slightly above the switch itself.

I figured there was a water leak between wire of the switch and the resin thats supposed to seal it..... anyways... removed the switch and made sure the section where the wires go into the switch itself was sealed properly (used silicone).
    I gave the old (now sealed) switch to my brother to use on his tank - figured I'd buy myself a new one. The switch worked for a day. Now it doesn't switch off. The ring moves freely and theres nothing magnetic or anything close by.

Anyways... I bought myself a new switch and it worked 100% for about 4 days. Then it did the same ! Permanently ON. Even if I move the ring with my hand it doesnt switch off. There's no salt creep of any type of interference that I can see.

Any ideas? Really missing my auto top-up.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Is it a DIY top up? If so do you have a relay on it? My float switches always used to burn out until I put a relay on.

Is it 12v or 220v? You get different float switches rated for different amperages as well.

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Ever since I can remember we have been using the same level switch from RS components with out any issues. But just lately, replacements are lasting a few days at most. Even with a relay. I am also at wits end how to resolve. It is embarising when a customer calls informing you he expects a carpet clean and overtime compensation for his cleaning staff.

5. Munky82

Munky82 Thread Starter

Yes it's a diy (using a HX-6510 hailia pump). And no... I don't have a relay on it. Will have to talk to my brother. What I know about electricity is shocking :p

And regards to the voltage... no idea... i threw away the packet it came in.. no writing or spec on the switch.
    Well it's got two skinny-ass wires...

6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I've been having the same problem & gave up on these switches after #4 it's getting flipin expensive . The lfs just raises his shoulders & says he doesn't have any problems with them.

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i have a solution that i have incorporated into my computer design, i am using a sonar level and IR level sensor, and only when both say level is low i activate the pump

8. Munky82

Munky82 Thread Starter

I feel very primitive all of the sudden. Here I am trying to get something to float and you're sitting with sonar and IR. :p
    Where can one get hold of these sensors ?

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

now you got my attention!!!!
    same here:blush:

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i will post tomorrow what i had in mind with costs

11. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

if you having so many issues with em and you have bought about 4....have you ever looked at getting a tunze osmolater with opticle sensor....well worth the bucks

12. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

yeah. I could realy do with that

13. Munky82

Munky82 Thread Starter

hmm... is that something you can supply ?

14. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

yes for sure;)

Recent Posts