Fans on buyo tl550

Reaction score
Hey there I have a 126l buyo tl550 and need advice. My tank currently has no livestock and has been running for 2 months. I need to find a way to cool down my system as it is staying at 29 degrees.how many fans will I need and where should I place them(on hood compartment or under the hood. Thanks you

what hood do you have, LED or PL tubes version?

With or without the original lens cover?

Well, that depends if you want to cut a hole or 2 into the hood. Using normal PC fans on 12V transformer would be the cheapest option.

My advice would be to invest in a decent chiller. The smaller tanks have serious temperature swings and it will be much cheaper than replacing livestock. Much less heartache too.

I have the exact same setup (Tl550 with Zetlight in the hood). Was having the same problems as you until someone sold me two of these "fans" that direct the air like a hair dryer. I have only used one and my tanks temperature is between 23 and 24 C even when the room temp is 29. I am only using one of the two if you are interested in buying the second one or swoping a frag for it.

Run the cooler on a STC thermostat (R280 from Jungle aquatics) so the cooler turns on and off as the temperature increases or decreases, works like a dream!

Last edited:
R200, Im in Hartbeespoort, but I can Aramex it to you. I had the flourecent tube lights in so I removed the plastic cover and srtipped everything in the hood out and then I just placed the Zetlight in the hood and replaced the plastic cover which holds the Zetlight in place. I had to make one small hole for the cable to come out. Just remember with the light and cooling your evaporation rate is going to increase. I was topping up about 500ml/day (RO water) manually and then I rather just got an ATO to make life easier.

Last edited:
I am a bit late to this party but, I had the same when I my TL550 was in use. (same setup with the 1201 in the hood).
What I did was have a normal house fan blow over the hood and opened the hood a few cm. It worked well. When restarting the TL550, I have taken the hood off to help with cooling without fans and it will give me the option to fit fans if I need to in future.

I am a bit late to this party but, I had the same when I my TL550 was in use. (same setup with the 1201 in the hood).
What I did was have a normal house fan blow over the hood and opened the hood a few cm. It worked well. When restarting the TL550, I have taken the hood off to help with cooling without fans and it will give me the option to fit fans if I need to in future.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom