Fan Worm

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Quintonv, 28 Oct 2010.

1. Quintonv

Quintonv

Hi Guys

How do i know if this guy is dead? I saw yesterday morning that i only pushes his head out about a quater of the way then pulls it back in, then the evening he doesn't stick his head out.

So i took it out of the DT and put it into my little quarantine tank. This morning when we woke up i saw it spat out the head.

So now my questions is. How will i be able to tell if it is dead?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Oct 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

mmmm its not uncommon for a fan worm to lose its crown but its a sign its not happy .... you might even find it coming out of its skin and crawling to a spot it likes .... maybe too strong flow or too strong lights

4. Collie

Collie

Watch it for a couple of days, they do grow a new crown.

5. neo

neo

When i bought mine it was happy for a week or so and then it dumped its crown, I then moved it inbetween some rocks for shelter, it took a month before it showed the smalles of crowns again and has grown well since then, it is now six months since it has re-grown its crown and all is well and it looks happy.
    Give it a nice sheltered position and allow 1 to 2 months for the crown to re-appear.

6. Mr_G

Mr_G

My one also lost its crown, and didnt come out, I throwed it in the sump, and now it is getting beter... My other one jumped out it shell, and crawled underneath the subtrate, no clue where it is now...other one is very happy tho... And opening up like never before...

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

OK looking at your pic now has me a bit worried .... to lose the crown is ok but I've never seen the pinkish interstine looking thingy at the tip ..... my fan worms usually comes out of their skin in one piece ... not like your pic ....... Anyone else can confirm how theirs got naked:lol:

8. Quintonv

Quintonv Thread Starter

At the bottom of the pic is the pebbles that it is still stuck to. I'll keep it in my sump for a while to see whats going on.

I'll keep it in my quarantine tank for a couple of weeks.

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Ok thats another story then .... Keep him out of too much strong flow as his new crown will be very delicate an in quarantine will be better as the fishes will tend to pick on the new on as it will be juicy ..... Give it 1 or 2 months and it will be healthy enough to go back in the main display ... BTW do you have any wrasses as they will want to devour it ... Even my butterflies will make a tasty meal of any kind of feather worms that come their way .....

10. Quintonv

Quintonv Thread Starter

Luckily my tank is about 4weeks old so no fishes yet. was think of getting a few dottybacks this weekend.

Ill keep him out for a while. thanx a million tho

Recent Posts