False / True Royal Gramma

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Jaco Schoeman, 20 Apr 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys.

I am wanting to start researching Royal Gramma for my tank. I have heard that there are false and true gramma though (like false and true percula clowns)

How do I spot the difference? I have also heard that the false gramma is much more aggressive.

Can anyone assist please?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Afsal

Afsal

u can look at the fins , the "true" royal gramma has "fancy" fins and has a black dot on itys body before its tail , i stand for correction here

4. gali

gali

A false gramma is a dotty back. Just google "dottyback"and "royal gramma" images. They are very distinctively different as afsal says. yes the false is more aggressive. Yes I would suggest getting a royal gramma cos they are peaceful and very cool. (just my experiences of the above 2 fish)

5. Afsal

Afsal

the royal gramma is awesome fish ....

6. Jaak

Jaak

The only other difference also is that the "royal dottyback" has a solid pink and solid yellow section where the Royal Gramma's pink section sort of blends into the yellow and as Afsal said it's got a black dot on it's dorsal fin. Lanzo's ordering them for the end of the month as I also want one, maybe check it out when he gets stock.

7. Mtroboer

Mtroboer

Hi Jaco,

Here are two pics I got from the net. I had a Bicolor dottyback (False royal gramma) when I first started keeping marines. I never researched it before purchasing and took it back the same day as he was worse than a foxterrier on steroids! He just kept on bullying fish larger than himself.

Royal Gramma

[​IMG]

Bicolor Dottyback

[​IMG]

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks guys. So I'll be looking out for the Royal Gramma. First do some research though!!! ;)

9. gali

gali

Good you doing your research. The dottyback I bought was sold to me as a gramma when I was starting out

Recent Posts