Faiyaz's 30 liter reef

Reaction score
Hi everyone, so I've been on the forum for a while and I'm finally posting about one of my systems.

So to break it down. I'm running a 30 liter pico which I got from PowerLabs.
The tank is skimmerless and I'm running the PowerLab filtration material in addition to crushed coral and sponge in the filtration. I have plenty of LR in the display. I do a 20% water change once a week.

So what I currently have:

Fish:
2 clownfish
1 lawnmower Blenny
1 orchid dottyback

Coral:
Various mushrooms
Various Zoas
Xenia
GSP
Cabbage coral
A mangrove plant

Initially it was only supposed to be a softie tank but after holding a couple sps for a friend and seeing them survive I've decided to add some sps for myself
The sps I currently have are:
1 green birdnest
1 digidata
1 acropora

Here are pics

80f3e8b8bdd6340ee895fd92839bd3ed.jpg
b4935bbba63811c9575a23557af768b3.jpg
c088199646690e857d4c9f71a44054a9.jpg
4448b725240840e00e012a2a0458c63a.jpg
babe032685a944c19af9e18c0cb598da.jpg
08d9d968b97d4d675701a86de585755a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
nice little tank.
The temperature goodie give you a real idea on how small this system is.

nice little tank.
The temperature goodie give you a real idea on how small this system is.

Yeah it's a tiny little cube. To give you a better idea here's it compared to an A4 page

ae7b4751f09a3a62ca0d87116a5ff01d.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not too sure on the mangrove plant.
Somewhere I recall that it uses a lot of certain elements. If I recall correctly, it was magnesium. So water changes is a must for you to be able to run the mangrove and SPS corals.

Is the dottyback not hassling the other fish? I've got one in my 240l tank and it's a little bitch. Dominates the whole left side of my tank.

I'm not too sure on the mangrove plant.
Somewhere I recall that it uses a lot of certain elements. If I recall correctly, it was magnesium. So water changes is a must for you to be able to run the mangrove and SPS corals.

Yes I do a 15-20% water change a week as well as dose trace elements and magnesium for both

Is the dottyback not hassling the other fish? I've got one in my 240l tank and it's a little bitch. Dominates the whole left side of my tank.

I added it on Sunday and so far nothing. I'm actually surprised because my clowns won't let the lawnmower Blenny anywhere near the front of the tank but they don't mind the dottyback at all. Do you also have an orchid dottyback? I know the purple dottybacks are aggressive but the orchid dottybacks are a lot more docile

Also an orchid yes. Might just be mine that has a super bad temper. I'm getting rid of it as soon as I can catch it.

I added it on Sunday and so far nothing. I'm actually surprised because my clowns won't let the lawnmower Blenny anywhere near the front of the tank but they don't mind the dottyback at all. Do you also have an orchid dottyback? I know the purple dottybacks are aggressive but the orchid dottybacks are a lot more docile

I think you will be in for a nasty surprise once that dottyback gets its bearings in that small tank. @jacohall is 100% regarding the nature of these fish, they are stunning to look at but are horrible fish in terms of their bullying nature. I have a purple that is going to find a new home soon because of its behaviour.

I think you will be in for a nasty surprise once that dottyback gets its bearings in that small tank. @jacohall is 100% regarding the nature of these fish, they are stunning to look at but are horrible fish in terms of their bullying nature. I have a purple that is going to find a new home soon because of its behaviour.

From what I've read, what was told to me by other aquarists on whatsapp groups and from the previous owner of the dottyback I've heard they are a great addition for the tank and will be fine with my fish. I will however take caution as I know you guys are speaking from experience as well.

I'll keep everyone updated on it

I got a orchid dottyback and he just stays in his cave. Most of my fish are far too big for him to even challenge. They need big tanks so that other smaller can get away from them.

So I'm not sure if my clowns are picking on the dottyback or if it's the lawnmower Blenny Coz yesterday I saw a white patch/sore on the dottyback behind the head. He is still swimming normally and everything and spends most of his day in his cave as usual.

Good news so far everyone, the clowns and dottybacks are not fighting and the injury to the dottyback is healing pretty quickly

Very nice and still new setup you have there , It looks like you are using led lights 3 of them ?

Thank you so much.
It's actually 6 LED lights, 3 blue and 3 white.
I'll do a full tank update later today

Can you take a picture with all the lights on i dont know why people like taking pics of the blue lighted tank

Maybe the tank is blue with all the lights onn

Back
Top Bottom