Facebook links for sponsors: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by LCornelius, 7 Feb 2014.

Voter count: 58
?

Do you like the sponsors facebook links?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    17.2%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    82.8%
  1. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Hi all,

Please give us some feedback on the topic.

My personal opinion:

I don't like it one bit!
    All it does is send you to facebook with little to no information.
    Just pics.

I feel that when sponsors post, they should take the time to inform us on the product!

Please cast your vote!

Last edited: 7 Feb 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Sponsors have their customers hooked into FB notifications. Not all are MASA members. The sponsor advertises to their followers on FB which is their target. The feed is a bonus for MASA members to get into the sponsors action.

My opinion. I do not view sponsors FB posts on MASA. So I am not fazed.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I vote as no.. unless the links do not appear on the main page of the forum. it wouldn't be nice to see just FB links every time one logs on to MASA.. I think the point of the forum is for people to share information and knowledge and its not a online shop.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Not necessary an online shop bud. Notification of new products, new concepts, installations etc.

Why is it that the sponsors are getting targeted? Taking away a few privileges. The sponsors do not run MASA. They SPONSOR. In this very volatile economic climate sponsors are taking strain. Many have left. Don't encourage more to do the same. :thumbup:

6. LCornelius

LCornelius Thread Starter Moderator

Keith this thread will not target sponsors in a negative way.
    I will delete any rude or attacking posts.

I just feel it is not nice when someone post a link to a tank install with zero information.
    Or look at this new product, but when I get to the facebook post there is zero info, just a picture!

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Understand. But why punish those that use the facility responsibly? Take the issue up with those at fault. IMO no need to excite an issue when it could be resolved with the parties concerned.

8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Must admit this has been annoying me for a while...
    Something is posted, i go to the post and its a link to FB! Now i must log into facebook, which I dont do. Anti social, lol.
    The sponsor's loss, not mine. If you are going to be a sponsor and want to sell on here, do it properly, ie, on here, but like I said, their loss, not mine.
    If they dont have the time to post on here.... make time available...
    Or.... Your loss.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

100s I agree. I have learnt which FB feeds to look into and those that irritate. Members choice. If the sponsor wants the FB feed and provides crapy info on FB then is that not a reflection of the entity?

We use the facility between D-D and Triple five. Take some time out and check out the T5 feeds.

10. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Facebook is facebook. Its a world of links and drama. But useful. But if im looking for quality content I come here. What makes the masa experience is the ability to deal with sponsors on a first hand basis. A direct link to them and their products from my keyboard and the comfort of my home.

the facebook feed is like the telermarketer ruining the experience.

sorry just my opinion.

I love seeing build threads from sponsors and pictures of engine rooms and new concepts. I miss quality posts like that.. infact they should rather post here and hit the fb share button!

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Facebook is blocked by most companies so it's fruitless

12. LCornelius

Hi Omlette,

None of the mods are negative.

I just asked a question.
    Keith (Nemo) made some valid points that I really appreciate.

So the thread in my opinion is going well until you said the following:

Why would you now take the thread south?
    This thread has nothing to do with what you just said above!

So please, if you can't contribute in a positive way to the thread, don't say anything at all.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Andre@ReefAquatics

Andre@ReefAquatics Sponsor

Please clarify ? Facebook feeds and/or links to your facebook page ? There is a big difference ? please clarify, somehow I feel implicated but also not as we don't use the facebook feed ??? but in our signature below you do see a "like us on facebook" link ?

14. LCornelius

Andre,

I have no issues with links to facebook.
    I just don't like the facebook feeds.

The automatic ones that pop up with no info, just a link to a picture.

You have not posted any automatic feeds.

15. JackSplat

JackSplat

I dont mind the facebook links, more media friendly for me, but i am on facebook quite a lot

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

There are another side to the story. With smartphones and facebook, it is so easy to upload pictures to facebook. Click and load. The smartphones have this build in.

Not so for the forum. It is not that easy to upload a picture to any forum. Does not matter what type of forum. The smartphone software creators did not add that in. And the forum software out there does not cater for this either.

So its a lot easier for the LFS to take a few pics and to upload them. All their members subscribed to their facebook feed gets the info. Did they succeed in their advertisement?

Also, they are busy. Do you rather want your LFS to upload pretty pictures all day, or rather him sell stock. Uploading pictures do not bring in direct salaries. Just a lot of replies, what is the price or size of this or that coral. And then another irritated member that complains the LFS did not answer him. Again we expect the LFS to sit behind his computer all day, waiting for your question. Or should he rather help walk in customers?

I for one hate it with a passion if I walk in at Midas, and the salesperson is on the phone giving prices to a guy phoning around for prices. And I, who is standing there right in front of the counter, have to wait. Who is more important at that moment. The guy on the other side of the phone, who might get a better deal at some other scruffy shop, or me, who are already standing in your shop?

But yes, a bit more info with the pictures would really be nice.

17. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

sorry man if what I posted sounded the wrong way.. I have no problem reading about new products concepts even installations like you mentioned. in fact I enjoy that alot.. but I like to get as much info as possible in one go.. so if for example you post a thread describing a new product you're about to launch and then on the bottom there is the link to the original FB page no problems . who ever is a fb member ever can click on the link and enjoy who ever is not no FB then at least he or she has got all the info already from the thread ...

the main thing I am against tho is having threads on the main page titled .. eg. " fb link to our be product" and inside there is just the fb link and that's is.. maybe if the sponsors want to do it this way then the tyres should nor appear on Tue main Paige but be available uh under forum section just like the off topic threads

18. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

also the other reason for me is that believe it or not I'm not on FB... but that just a personal reason..I know I'm probably only one in a million

19. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I hear what you are saying here but if you are going to use the internet as a method of selling you need to make provision to have staff available to check and respond to that as part of their daily duty.

We have always encouraged members to pick up the phone and enquire first hand about a coral or product if they really want it and its in limited supply to avoid dissapointment.

The issue here is the facebook feed which in some instances nothing to do with marine.

A forums primary objective is to provide informative and relative content aimed at the facet it is geared in. Ours is marine and reefkeeping.

I do believe the facebook feed has a place but perhaps if it were coupled with some meaningful info it would be better recieved. I have seen sponsors. (not attacking anyone here) opt for the easy way ( probably due to time constraints) and go with the facebook feed option.

The question is : how can we turn this into a better experience for all?

Last edited: 8 Feb 2014
  20. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

If I see a facebook link, I usually don't go into that thread. What's the hassle? If I see something I might be interested in then, I'll go have a look. Reefers, decide for yourself.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2014
  21. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I disagree with this statement

Tapatalk, Froum runner, and a few more give just as easy click click access and picture posting as facebook if not easier...even when I am on holiday or waiting for a meeting with a client, I can interact with the forum.

Recent Posts