Extreme Algae growth

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by marinenoob, 7 Feb 2010.

1. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi,

I recently purchased two 39w t5 lights in addition to my two 80w t5's. These were working ok until i was told that my lighting schedule was wrong and changed it to the recommended ten hours.

Anyways since doing that Algae especially a brown hair algae has been spreading accross my sand bed and glass. on the bed it is very stringy and slimy, but is easily removed from the glas. however even once removed it is just back the following day. Also for the past three days i've has hard green and red algae forming on my glass. this is difficult to removed and have found only scraping it off with my finger works.

please help..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sounds like your tank has a nutrient or PO4 problem

4. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

If it's so hard that you have to scratch it off, that's coraline. Good algae. Get an urchin when it gives you sleepless nights . . .

5. mnd123

mnd123

That sounds like Cyano bacteria rather than algae, my outbreak happened when I upgraded my lights. I suggest dropping your lighting cycle and sorting this out, get your PO4=0ppm, add carbon to the sump and change regularly, up your water changes to weekly and put an airstone in the sump to increase REDOX.

Sounds like Coralline, a curse IMO. The issue with coralline is exactly what you pointed out, difficult to remove. It also drains Ca and Alk. As above an urchin will help with coralline, not with the cyano - there is no biiological control that I know of for cyano, best cure is patience.

6. maj

maj

how is ur feeding schedule?overfeeding contributes to high Po4,u feed frozen foods?

7. Tony

Tony

Start adding probiotics like Prodibio or Microbacter.

Recent Posts