external protein skimming

Reaction score
Hi all just wanting your guys opinion on pros and cons with regard to external protein skimmers, do they remove exsesive waste to the detriment of pod popultions, do they catch to many planktonic organisms . What do the experts have to say? reason why i'm asking is that i'm building a new setup and am going to run a Reef Octopus 3000ext onto my overflow and then to a fuge /bio filter (4ft)and then over a dsb 1mx500 to return to the dt ,tank size is 1.500 x 0.600 x 0.750(height) not quite sure if i should run the dt barebottom or not

shoto in advance:m106:

Reaction score
Skimmer intake is almost always in the first compartment, before the refugium(where the pods thrive)

Some more info on external skimmers: [ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=myg8rz0Bzzc[/ame]

Reaction score
Hi, i split my return 1/2 to the skimmer other half to the ref, with flow controls to both. seem to work OK

Reaction score
Hi, i split my return 1/2 to the skimmer other half to the ref,
Hi @Paul R are you running an external skimmer. if so how exactly are you controlling the flow rate to the skimmer so that it does not skim too wet or too dry

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hi I'm running the skims monster, it has an exit flow rate valve , then also air intake regulators, just need to find a balance and keep an eye on the levels, the they need constant adjustment until every thing has settled down.

Reaction score
External skimmer output above sump, pump and ballvalve for the skimmer input(only adjust here). More stable this way and a ratio of unskimmed water goes to the fuge.

Later perhaps an Ats feeding the fuge aswell. Pods will be crawling!

Top Bottom