External overflow glass thickness

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
hey guys, i just built an external overflow for my 800 cube but before i glue it to the cube i'm wondering if the glass i used is thick enough...

the dimensions: 800L x 200W x 400H

i used 6mm glass, is this enough?

thanks!
ant
:)

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
should be fine IMO...I used 5mm on my octagon..

thanks SIMS,

i was just worried 'cause the standard tank glass calculator gave me this:

Calculating using
Length: 800.0 mm
Width: 200.0 mm
Height: 400.0 mm
Recommended side glass thickness: 7.0 mm
Recommended bottom glass thickness: 10.0 mm

but then i thought the water level will probably be at about 350 so then i got:

Calculating using
Length: 800.0 mm
Width: 200.0 mm
Height: 350.0 mm
Recommended side glass thickness: 6.0 mm
Recommended bottom glass thickness: 8.0 mm

i just hope the 6mm base holds out, how high was your overflow?

cheers,
ant
:)

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
sorry Punk I think I have missunderstood. Are you talking about the exernal over flow box or tank?

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
sorry Punk I think I have missunderstood. Are you talking about the exernal over flow box or tank?
external over flow, something like this, you think it'll be OK?

overflow.gif

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
the overflow box should hardly fill up with anything except the water flowing over so it should be ok. it should be ok if you have sufficient plumbing taking the water down
cool, i drilled 2 x 50mm holes for my durso standpipes and another 50mm emergency overflow just in case 'cause i'm going to have insane flow going through there :)

SIMS

Regal Tang
Reaction score
ok yea as I thought - that will be fine IMO. My octagon is a very similar design....

Reef Maniac

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the bottom of the overflow chamber will be drilled in two or three places for the down pipes - this will weaken the glass. Also, you will most likely be 'fiddling' with the down pipes in the years to come, connecting a skimmer directly to it, installing a 'T' to feed that Ca reactor, etc... This too will place additional strain on the box, end especially on the bottom pane.

I would recommend that you go for the 6mm sides, but use 10mm for the bottom, just to be safe.

Hennie

Punk

Chromis
Reaction score
guys i have another problem and question...

(1) how can i paint the back of the tank black with this type of overflow? the top part of the back pane is in the overflow box so it is going to get wet?

(2) what's the best paint (make & model) to use for this purpose and is it safe for getting wet inside an overflow box? if so then i can just as well paint the back pane inside of the tank?

here's the design again:
overflow.gif

many thanks for all your help!

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
There is a type of paint you can use for the inside of the tank, for the life of me I can't remember what it is called, perhaps a type of fibreglass paint, but I do remember that it doesn't stick to silicone.