external filter

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by denrzn, 1 Apr 2013.

1. denrzn

denrzn

hi guys,

i have a juwel vision 260 with the standard filteration (juwel) i have tetra 600 external canister.

will i be able to use this on my tank with the standard juwel filter, is this canister too small or will it help with the cleaning of the water.

please help ​

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

canister filters in marines are usually quite useless in marines, they collect detritus and turn into a 'bank' of nitrates, the best one can do is fill it with filtration media like carbon or phosphate remover.....

4. pkc

pkc

It’s a shame canisters are not designed properly. If you want to use a canister for marines you firstly need to use a proper pre filter and not useless sponge or what ever is supplied where the water is extracted from the aquarium before it goes to the canister, that’s what is wrong with them! They get clogged and once any porus potential is ruined by this clogging affect, the possibility of a clean anaerobic environment is ruined.
    Once this is ruined you have mainly aerobic functions making nitrate and the anaerobe you don’t want in abubdance. This is the obligate anaerobe that sets up shop in the clogged areas making hydrogen sulphide. So what this gives you is nitrate and sufur, not good a good combination!
    Make up a piece of conduit with holes in it at where it draws water from the aquarium ,wrap it with some filter wool and clean this each day and your canister will be a huge benefit to a marine aquarium.

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I think the problem with canisters are that they are actually designed to trap detritus & silt. They have a relatively low flow for the surface area of the filters, which means the detritus & silt gets time to slow down & settle at the bottom/inside media.

We just need to remember that they are designed for freshwater tanks where they are the only filter in the system & actually HAVE to trap the solids from the water, unlike marine tanks where most of that gets skimmed out & settles in the substrate.

6. denrzn

denrzn Thread Starter

Thx guys

So should I use it or should I just leave the original juwel filteration to work on its own

I just had this has a spare canister and thought it would be good for added cleaning

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

if your filtration currently relies only on the internal filter and you know the extra work involved to maintain it. Yes, then go ahead, add the extra cannister filter. More filtration is better than nothing.

8. Wesd

Wesd

another thing you can do is remove the trays (and filter medium) from inside the canister and fill it with good quality LR, leave space so your top tray still fits and you can put your carbon and phosphate removers on it, this will prevent the canister adding nitrates and will actually help bring them down.

9. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Thinking about it, can a canister filter not be used as a reactor? Filling it up completely with phosphate remover, carbon and other goodies?

10. Wesd

Wesd

im sure you probably could, i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work :thumbups:

11. denrzn

denrzn Thread Starter

Thx guys

Recent Posts