External durso

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Hammerhead, 21 Oct 2011.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi,

Im planning on doing a c2c overflow on the rear glass of my new build.

Id like to know if an external duso is possible

My idea is to use a 32mm bulkhead/tank connector with a treaded T piece on the outside. The top of the T will be plumbed so the pipe is above the water line and fitted with an end cap, however instead of playing around with hole sizes i intend drilling a hole the size of the std airline and putting on a tap or plumb the tap diectly to the end cap to play with the air intake, similar to what Riaan did with the sewer vent valve.

My question is will this silence it or will I have to plumb an elbow on the inside of the overflow as this is what is done on the durso.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

4. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

Hi,

Reserched it and it seems to be a good method, however ive seen posts were guys just put a ball valve on the return pump and adust it such that the water level is above the down turned elbow, which creates a siphon and as no air is inroduced is thus silent.

I have already ordered the glass with the 3 holes and was wondering if this will be an easier way, i will use two of the holes as overflows and one as an emergency with an up turned elbow, then reduce the flow of the pump with a ball valve such that a siphon is created my the rising level in the C2C, in the event of a power failure the water in the c2c will be all that is siphoned. or if the siphons for some reason cannot handle the input the emegency will kick in.

? will two siphons pose a problem, will it be a problem supplieing enough water via return pump in the c2c before it stats gargling.

I can only add enough water (through restricting inflow with a ball valve) in the C2C as high as the upturned elbow (emergency) wich will be below the main water level in the tank.

Will this work as ive explained as the way i see it this method is a reverse of the bean animal 9restictin return to sumberge elbows in C2C

5. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Hammerhead,

I use a bean design overflow on my main tank.
    Works like a charm, totally quiet and fail safe.

You are welcome to check my system out in person if you wish

6. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

Hi,

I would love to, will pm u closer to the time, just collected glass now.

Where did u get the 3/8" NPT John Quest Fitting, I was planning on using a micro irigation connector and thread that onto the end cap as i could not source it.

What size plumbing are u using on the Bean overflow?

Recent Posts