Experiment tanks filtration

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rudeboy1, 1 Mar 2012.

1. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

Hi All

I am currently setup a 3 tier stand with 3 tanks and 1 sump. Everything is already designed but I am sitting with a problem regarding the filtration.

I am going to be running Reeftek TS2 skimmer in the sump,refugium, ceramic rings, phosban and carbon.

I am having a bit of a problem deciding how I should filter the tanks. The 2 options I had were the following:

Option 1: Have the return pump pumping the water to the top tank and then the top tank will over flow through bioballs on the left handside into the second tank and the second tank will over flow through bioballs on the right hand side into the first tank where the first tank will over throught bio balls on the left hand side into the sump.

Option 2: I will drill a whole on each 1 of the 3 tanks and have them over flowing individually into the sump and have them pumped back into each tank individually.

So basically will the better to have the water from the top tank flowing through the other tanks or each one individually.

Please you help would be appreciated.:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I would go for option 2!

4. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

I slapped the 2 designs together on paint. Please see.

Option 1:

[​IMG]

Option 2:
    [​IMG]

5. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

Cornelius is there a specific reason for option 2?

6. jades

jades

I would suggest option 2 as well. I have 7 tanks with 7 overflows plumbed into one sump. The benefit is you can disconnect a tank from the system when you want to, and you can set the amount of flow each tank gets individually with ball valves. More complex but it gives you more options. Also, plumbing is fun :thumbup:

7. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

Thanx Jades. I will definitely use that idea. I was thinking that it might be better to go through the bio balls. So just have each one run individually. Is the filtration more efficient that way?

8. jades

jades

Option 1 looks more efficient, you're get more filtration that way, but I like option two, cause you get more control. I also like my skimmer to get first go at waste removal.

9. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

So if it was for keeping the amount of waste down, what option would you go for? It will be a permanent structure. There will be no moving around or anything.

10. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

Bump

11. jades

jades

I would keep all filtration in the bottom compartment, skimmer first. There are two options for low maintenance filtration that I personally like.

One is you can have a algae scrubber and bio filtration in your sump. The bio filter sorts out the ammonia and nitrite and the algae scrubber removes nitrates and phosphates. You could use the over flow from one of the tanks to supply the algae scrubber to.

Or you can have separated bio filtration with sections for aerobic and anaerobic bio filters. The idea is that you would have the first section flowing over ceramic media were they consume the ammonia and nitrite producing nitrate and low oxygen water. Aerobic bacteria are small and not adhesive so they need a very porous home. Anaerobic bacteria are very sticky and filamentous, so bio balls with there smooth surface work best. So your first comparment water would flow down through the ceramic media then up through the bio balls, then through carbon. It would create a relatively low maintenance system.

12. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

I like the second option. SO have all tanks going into the sump individually. The first chamber in the sump would be filter floss with ceramic rings underneath, second chamber bioballs, third chamber protein skimmer, fourth chamber refugium and fifth chamber return pump with carbon?\.

Where would be be to put the carbon?

13. jades

jades

I would put the skimmer in first chamber, were the overflows from all the tanks go. Then, filter floss, ceramic rings, bioballs, refugium, carbon, return pump. If you are gonna use carbon, i would say put it at the output of the refugium.

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, anearobic bacteria lives in very low oxygen levels,like the lower levels of a DSB. The surface area of bio-balls is in a high oxygen zone, so it is aerobic baceria. Unless I'm missing something...

15. jades

jades

This is from TFH magazine August 2011. Its an article by Valerio Zupo, PhD, An Empirical Approach to Marine Aquarium Filtration. Its a really good read, check it out.

The basic idea is the aerobic bacteria use most of the oxygen in the first compartment, and as they are attracted to porous media by their physiology thats what you use in the first section, the water should then flow directly in to the 2nd section which would have low oxygen from the first section. Anaerobic bacteria are physiologically attracted to smooth surfaces, so hence the bio balls.

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

But, the anaerobic bacteria in a DSB converts nitrates to nitrogen, and bio-balls does not. So can someone explain that?

17. jades

jades

I would suggest you read the article if you dont understand my previous posts.

18. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

This is all they give? Where's the rest?

Featured Article
    Issue: August 2011
    Aquarium Science: An Empirical Approach to Marine Aquarium Filtration

Author: Valerio Zupo, PhD

[​IMG]
    Photographer: Valerio Zupo, PhD
    A devoted scientist and aquarist presents a marine aquarium filtration setup that limits the need for water changes while preserving water quality.

19. jades

jades

Its in the magazine dude.

20. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I thought it was an online magazine

Recent Posts