Experiences keeping Genicanthus angels

Reaction score
Hope all is well

I managed to acquire a Genicanthus melanospilos yesterday. It's such an amazing fish. I would say it's about 10cm, with female coloration.

My goal is to set up an 'overgrown' softie reef. Still in the early stages with a tank of frags. So despite my love for angels, especially centropyge, I had given up on ever having one in the tank.

With nitrates undetectable, I was on the hunt for some fish. However I just couldn't find any that were on my wishlist. And then I stumbled upon this Japanese Swallowtail Angel. I've burnt my fingers a few times in the early days so I'm not easily caught with impulse buys. Did some quick research and all seemed good. Picked her up yesterday and was so stoked. She settled quickly, ate some mysis and was out and about all day.

Today I noticed a few things. She swims with a bit of a jerky movement, not as smooth as other angels, and slightly at an angle (head down). She comes up to the surface from time to time trying to eat bubbles, and in doing so she makes some more, and tries to eat them too. She also releases gas from both front and rear end every now and again.

So I did some reading and realised that genicanthus angels sometimes suffer from decompression sickness or swim bladder damage because they are caught in deep water and sometimes not decompressed properly. (I might have been caught not by an impulse buy but by not doing adequate research).

Reading on other forums, the symptoms described are common. Some say the fish will recover, others say not. Some say treat, others say don't.

This fish is like a dream fish! Reef safe, takes most food, apparently doesn't bother other fish. I'd really hate to lose it.

Anyone with a Genicanthus here? What has been your experience with them?

Reaction score
I've had Lamarck's, swallowtails and wattanabis before..Lamarck was easiest to keep. Swallowtails I didn't have for long before the tank wiped with spot. And unfortunately the wattanabi I had was stunned. It never grew much bigger than a few centimeters.

Reaction score
Nice.

The genicanthus aren't as colorful as the others but their facial markings are amazing.

I came across a thread where a guy said he had a bellus I think that grew 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in the 15 to 18 months he had it.

Also came across threads where people had success mixing genicanthus in the same tank. And quite a few people that had pairs

Reaction score
You can mix them but you either need a large tank, or you must add all together. I had a Lamarck pair. I tried to add the swallowtails. They didn't like it at all.

Reaction score
Angel is looking much better. It was super chilled this morning. Cruising slowly and smoothly, it could pause for a second without a problem. Still coming up to the surface trying to eat bubbles.

One theory on why they do this is that genicanthus rarely come in to contact with the air / water interface since they live at greater depths. So they do this trying to find food.

Did some more reading and apparently fish eating off the surface can get gas in their gut and this could cause buoyancy issues. Also read that the gas could be absorbed (?) or passed through the system.

There were people who noticed this behavior in other species like fox faces and larger angels but the fish were OK, some doing it for 2 years

Reaction score
Thats quite a nice fish, have never seen one before, In terms of Centropyge, I have had 2 coral beauties so far one in my previous tank, I still have one now in my current tank, and both gave me no issues WRT to being reef safe.

Top Bottom