Experience in a LFS shop.

That's another thing this country severely lacks....a decent aquarium magazine.

I am in the publishing industry and am looking at this present. Couple of things needed to do this like genuine expertise, decent photography, equipment testing and a whole list more. Once allthese things are in place catered for then you get to costings. A decent full colour gloss magazine does not come cheap and must be funded by sales and advertising.

How much would you be prepared to pay for say 124 page magazine? How many of the LFS and equipment suppliers would be prepared o advertise? etc etc

My LFS 100m up the road from me dont even know what is a DSB.LPS,SPS or a MH ..... the list go,s on, but They sell Marines. I am NO expert and only know stuff out of my own experiance wich is not much. As long as they can make a sell they are happy.

Another well known LFS in Town, are the only one i know off who will rather try to keep the client happy,example: I ones went there and saw a Bi-colour the man did not want to sell it to me cause it was kind of skinny and the purple couler was more white than purpel. I asked for some food and it was eating HE then still didnt whant to sell it to me cuase it didnt look healty anouth to him, he even offert me another angel at less then half the price of the bi-couler, long story short i bought the bi-colour, even at the counter when i paid he asked me am i sure i whant to wast my money cause this fish will die, Its now 8 months later and the bi-couler are one of my best looking fish in my tank and twise the size.

5 months after this sale i walked into another shop and saw this man is working here know (did not ask why) he ramemberd me and couldent beleved the bi-couler looked so good after i showed him a photo.

My point is if this was the LFS 100m from me, they would have sold me this fish noprops just to make the sale.

Who knows , maybe i was just lucky,but that to me is the way all the staff sould be at a LFS.

long story short i bought the bi-colour, even at the counter when i paid he asked me am i sure i whant to wast my money cause this fish will die, Its now 8 months later and the bi-couler are one of my best looking fish in my tank and twise the size.

The thing here is the LFS made you aware that this fish needed attention. Imagine you got sold the fish and you thought that the thinness or clouring was correct, you would have given it no special attention.

Ok guys heres a question or 2.

If a magazine is done should it be purely marine keeping or should it be diving as well?

Would you expect it monthly or say quarterly?

What are you prepared to pay for a gloss magazine R20, R25, R30 ?

Who would you like to see writing articles foreigners, Locals?

Ok guys heres a question or 2.

If a magazine is done should it be purely marine keeping or should it be diving as well?

Would you expect it monthly or say quarterly?

What are you prepared to pay for a gloss magazine R20, R25, R30 ?

Who would you like to see writing articles foreigners, Locals?

Maybe having both Marine and diving together may sprend the costload and diversify potential advertisers.

At minimum quarterly

Dependant on size up to R50, I spend R 100+ on a 150 page monthly F1 publication (UK) and R1500n a 100 page Home Cinema mag also from Europe.

Have to have more locals, giving the local perspective IE: Load shedding, potential power price increases, local marine reserves and where RSA fits into the world scheme of reefing etc.

Good morning everybody.

I've got to go back to the LFS debate. I believe that if you describe your tank to the salesman and he says that fish/coral, whatever, will be fine and it clearly won't be it is unacceptable. I worked at Computer Mania a few years back and if someone came in looking for a CPU upgrade and I sold him an AMD chip when he said he had an Intel motherboard that wouldn't be acceptable and would be brought back for a refund, same should apply to LFS. If they sell something incompatible it's their fault as they should know better. Another scenario is if someone came in to buy a PC to check emails on I wouldn't try to sell him the most hardcore gamers pc.

I have had major crap from LFS's and I can only recall one time that after I left the store I said what a cool place. That is shocking as I used to frequent quite a few store's quite often and have only had one really good experience(At Aqua Concepts).

And to end this saying it's not the LFS fault that the guy that helped you doesn't really know that much is complete BS. What the hell was he hired for then. These people must be told if they don't know ask someone that does and in turn they will learn as well.

And livestock don't come with users manuals so that doesn't always help.

Komodo just proved as well though, even if the LFS gives good advice, tells the customer not to buy the fish and why. They still do.. eish !

Alfie, I think the mag idea is a good one, are you making it to the CTRC meeting, you should bring it up there. Lots of reefers, do your market research one time. Tank of the month, invert section.. lovely idea, you will get lots of support.

I think a lot of reefers dive as well, those that dont.. want to !

Yeah it will make for a great discussion.

lol, I'm serious, if you guys come up with something then we would like to purchase the back outer cover for an ad :)

i had no idea MASA had that sort of cash dean :p

hmmmm, well if the pricing is anything like the FHM mag then I guess we'll have to downsize to a 1cm x 1cm ad in the bottom left corner of page 17 :lol:

Back
Top Bottom