Exo Exo

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Kunhardt, 22 Dec 2008.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I saw quite a cool sight last night, happened to look into my nano while the lights out and saw my cleaner shrimp busy shedding its exoskeleton. Tried to take a video of it, but it was too dark to see properly and when i turned on the light in the room he fled from view.

How often do inverts such as shrimp and hermits do this? Mine seem to do it every few weeks??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mike Bushie

mike Bushie

molts every 2 or 3 to 6 weeks. they supposedly shed with the moon cycle supposedly??
    mine seem to make eggs in that space of time. don't know if there is a link between the two.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

About once every two months.
    You will notice that a day or two before he sheds, he will be a lot less active. Almost hiding. Will be behind the rocks, very shy. Not eating a lot, and his behaviour a lot less active than his normal self.
    Question, do you leave the old skin in the tank for the clean-up crew or remove the shell?

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Normally leave it in. With the hermit crabs old skin it seems to sit around for a day or so, but with the shrimps' its gone within hours.

Recent Posts