Exchanging tanks

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by PeterL, 11 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I am changing tanks this week, the "new" one simply has a drilled overflow arrangement opposed to the siphon system I am currenty running.

Are there any factors or things I need to pay specific attention to in order for the least distruption? Moving my entire tank over from one to another is going to throw out the entire system for sure, that stands to be obvious.

I am just unsure if there is something one would take special precautions to with regards to the change over...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

You not changing the sump, so no problem. Move the rock as quick as possible.

Obviously old tank must completely removed, as new will stand in that place.
    Biggest problem is the time you take, the water temp will fluctuate.

So ypu need to drain tank to holding tanks, the move the old tank out. Then put new tank there, and refill. It can take longer than you think. So get a big container for the rock and livestock. Drain tank into that. Put current heaters in there. Then do the other tanks move.

Good luck

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Thanks Riaan, I need more than luck, I need a magic fairy to do this because no matter how you look at it - it just isn't fun disrupting the whole works. It is a lot of work and I only have an evening in which to get it done...rush to get done but don't rush so much as to urt things...sounds contradictory but sensible advice.

I will be trading up sump size later on, I am using a 2ft right now on a 4ft tank, I am going to a 3ft sump soon to get more footprint in a DSB.

Massive change of game plan from where I started because I was another newbie twit who just went off on my own tangent before asking the right people the right questions...Oh wait, I didn't ask anyone a damn thing, I just rambled on my merry way and had to get help each time something didn't work...LOL...live and learn, thanks to MASA and all it's members assiting in correcting my foolish ways - I am on the road to success.

Anyone on the East rand with spare containers which I could make use of for a night??? I have to move a 250L-300L of water - pumping is the easy part, storage containers I have a serious problem with...........

5. Pete

Pete

Hey ZC go and buy yourself two or three of the bif jim dustbins they hold about 120L each, then after the move you have containers to store your R/O water in and one to mix your new salt mix in for water changes. Take it slow relax and things will work out, ditto to what Riaan has mentioned about the heaters, live rock and stock.

6. robertkukla

robertkukla

i will come help you zombie two sets of hand is better than one

7. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Nemos Janitor has bailed my @ss out of troubled times again, I owe you big - you certainly have helped me immensly, thank you.

I will keep in touch with regards to containers etc, I will either come through on Friday or Saturday and get the containers back to you as soon as I am done. With containers at hand, I could be done in a few short hours - maybe sooner than initially estimated. I guessed 2hrs maybe 3hrs max - already the water would have changed temp but I will put heater with powerhead into container to keep water circulation to try hold temp as best possible but the cold glass will cool it quickly.

Any advice on how to heat water back to temp for LS?
    What is the lowest temp allowable fo LS?

I would rather hold back before putting fish back to let temp rise rather than risk death because of shock in temp change for them. It is the same water so they by theory should be OK with regard to the water quality etc...or am I mistaken?

Generally seems like a simple thing to do, my immidiate thoughts would be water temp issues and not much else really - just do it all as fast ass possible for least time in disruption to anything.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just put all the rock, fish and livestock in the same containers.

Recent Posts