• If you are a related business or shop and wish to advertise on this forum and our facebook group then please send an email to admin@marineaquariumsa.com or use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Cost is R1500.00 for 6 months sponsorship.

Evolution Labs - Live Foods

Sushilicious84

For all your high level reefing needs :)
Reaction score
Hi All,

Due to the large amount of microalgae and macroalgae we have on hand we have opted to start bottling these products on a weekly / bi-weekly basis so that you will have access to a variety of live foods.:slayer::slayer::slayer:

We have the following products currently available:

Phytoplankton:

The continuous use of phytoplankton will have a positive impact on your tanks wellbeing. Various corals, invertebrates, filter feeders, clams and aquatic bugs benefit from the continuous dosing. When dosing phytoplankton in your tank it promotes one large cycle where it encourages improved coral health and boosts amphipod and copepod populations which in turn ensures that there is more live foods available for your fish. Live phytoplankton will also reduce nitrates and phosphates, consume carbon dioxide and oxygenate the water when the lights are on. Phytoplankton also creates essential fatty acids which are vital to marine and coral health and development.

Different kinds of phytoplankton:

Nannochloropsis oculata

Everybody knows the green phytoplankton in the industry, commonly known as Nannochloropsis oculata. This microalgae is very high in unsaturated fatty acids (namely EPA) as well as vitamins, and pigments such as beta carotene, violaxanthin and zeaxanthin. Used frequently in aquaculture and is an ideal candidate for the green water technique.

Isochrysis galbana

Not everyone is familiar with the gold phytoplankton, commonly knowns as Isochrysis galbana. This microalgae is very high in unsaturated fatty acids as well (namely DHA) as well as carotenoids such as beta carotene and fucoxanthin. Due to these high levels they are used to enrich rotifers and are also ideal candidates for the green water technique.

Other live foods:

Brachionus plicatilis (Rotifers)

The use of rotifers provides a delicious food source to a large number of inhabitants in our tanks. Rotifers are used extensively in aquaculture and are a favoured food source for raising clownfish larvae. Rotifers also act as a fantastic food source for corals as it provides them with crude fat and protein. Due to the fact that we offer rotifers in phytoplankton, we are ensuring that we are boosting the nutritional value of our rotifers which in turn provides a fantastic food source to your tanks inhabitants. Rotifers also consume a significant amount of debris which ensures that your tank has a 24/7 clean up crew.

We will be offering more live foods in the near future too :m04::m04::m04:

Please contact your nearest store to find out if they have stock, if not please get in touch with us directly and we will find you an alternative. :m106:

2018-10-09-23-06-04.jpg

2018-10-09-23-08-46.jpg

2018-10-09-23-17-20.jpg

how long can phyto stay alive in a bottle for?

Hi there,

Phytoplankton has the ability to stay alive for a few months as long as you do the following:

1. Ensure that the bottle is refrigerated and stays between 0-4 C
2. Ensure that you shake the bottle atleast 2-3 times a week to prevent settlement at the bottom

We don't bottle and wait for collection, we bottle fresh live cultures every single week. :m04:

Who would have stock in the East Rand?

Currently, the only store who has taken stock is Viking Aquatics in Cape Town. I am sure if you make contact with them they will be able to send you some until we find a store who would like to stock. It would be great if you could gather a few guys that would be keen to get some as well. The cost per bottle is also very reasonable so it is the ideal food to have on hand at all times.

sounds very good. I am glad it is easy to keep alive, i guess u would only use a smal amount at a time. How often should you feed this?

Solely depends on that amount of live stock you have. As mentioned above, the addition of phytoplankton has a significant amount of benefits. I would generally recommend about 5-10 ml per 100 l a few times a week. Our phytoplankton is dense so you can really be assured that your tank will be getting the best possible.

Currently, the only store who has taken stock is Viking Aquatics in Cape Town. I am sure if you make contact with them they will be able to send you some until we find a store who would like to stock. It would be great if you could gather a few guys that would be keen to get some as well. The cost per bottle is also very reasonable so it is the ideal food to have on hand at all times.
I don’t see Viking on any of the forums could you send me their contact info as they don’t have a website either?

Back
Top Bottom