Eventually getting started!

Imo just get a ro unit. It will save you many headaches. I use to buy water from petshops. Until one day I took white buckets with me. Was the last time I supported them. Quickly got myself a ro unit. Now I know exactly what I get.
I agree. They are easy to plumb in to your water, and you can use the exhaust waste pipe to fill your hardier pot plants, or fill your washing machine or cistern. So no real water loss at all of you are clever about it.

Haha... Ok, he said while gingerly penciling in another item on the ever growing expense request form...

Haha... Ok, he said while gingerly penciling in another item on the ever growing expense request form...
Eish ya, I know your pain. I fit squarely in the lower-middle-class income bracket, so I cringe when I walk into pet shops and se the price of things:m23: Serves me right for deciding to study towards a job in the STEM field.

The RO machine is worth it though. You'll not regret saving yourself from carting buckets out to the shops etc. Plus you can run the machine to make water at your leisure. I think it's worth the money.

Keep a eye on the forum. I've seen plenty guys selling ro units. Alternatively look at Puritech website. They very cheap

Evening all, was looking for some recomendations on a skimmer? Thinking QQ2 but maybe there is something else I'm not aware of? My Skimmer compartment is quite tight (I should have made it a little bigger looking back)

Just looked up the dimensions on the QQ2... Looks like it won't fit anyway! 75mm wide!!!

Last edited:
Finalised my PCB designs for the LED unit, decided to seperate the puck from the driver board.
Hopefully etch (or attempt to etch) the boards next weekend.

Same wavelengths and wattages as Radion G4pro

4 x Royal blue
4 x Blue
4 x UV
4 x Cool white
2 x violet
2 x green
2 x deep red
1 x warm white

The whole puck is about the size of a marie biscuit, so should get great blending.
Tried to keep the layout of the different colours the same too. View attachment 211647

Last edited:
Well, blew the budget a bit today.... Picked up some essentials (RO unit & Refractometer) got a great deal from a masa reefer, but unfortunately the LED funds took a knock...

I will start with my super-budget double barrel media reactor next weekend instead (probly cost about R100).

Well, as promised... My budget double barrel reactor! Had some 50mm acrylic tube lying around, picked up a couple of fittings at the hardware...
IMG_20190923_174438.jpg
IMG_20190923_174731.jpg
IMG_20190923_174947.jpg

I was introduced to marines about 10 years ago by DragonReef here on MASA, and learnt alot from him when we setup a 2m reef tank at the office.

Well there is a blast from the past, he has not been on the forum for 5 years!

Welcome and best of luck with your build!

Yeah, I have lost contact with him after leaving the company about 7 years ago, but luckily the knowledge is something I get to keep. And I must say, a really great guy who shared so much information with me.

Back
Top Bottom