Evaporator Trickle Filter

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by nakoma, 19 Sep 2012.

1. nakoma

nakoma

I found a very intresting container from a friend . So i was thinking this container might make a nice diy for a evaporator. So what i want to do is build it and set it up with a digital thenomator inside the water of the evaporator , and set it up with a tank with just salwater in it .Nothing special as i have alot of tanks just laying around maybe something on the small side that will heat up fast in the summer. And maybe test it with the setup through the summer and just see what it does . I also want to make the evaporator into a trickle filtration system free flowing back into the tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Idol Marine got a trickle evaporative cooler to cool down the shop for the summer months. Just normal fresh water flows down, with fan pulling in cooled fresh air through it.
    Your idea looks like the same concept.

5. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

Yes but i will be letting the salt water run through it and it will be a trickle filter with bags at the bottom with maybe some chemical filtration added to it .

6. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

I was thinking of a series of maybe 5 pipes raining water down from the top with a series of 10 to 20 small fans maybe more connected to a sheet of Perspex blowing through the big opening on the side. And the top will be covered with Perspex to holding the pipes in place. Then the hole on the grey side I will connect a swimming pool hose that will direct the air that should be cooler maybe back to the top where the 5 pipes are raining water down and maybe will put some of the evaporated water back into the system . And lastley I want to add a series of meshed bags each containing some form of chemical filtration that can be replaced each month or when required .

7. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

hmmm,,, looks like a very nice diy ,,, Tagging

8. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

I want to use thick flexi hose full of very fine small holes. Then maybe using a pump of around a 2500 litre capacity to force water through making a even mist like rain inside the container that will be sealed as well as it can be at the time. The Perspex with fans will be blowing air through the mist like rain forcing cooler air hopefully through the grey hole that will be directed with a flexi hose back to the top. I will like lots of ideas if anyone has any.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2012
  9. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

Hey nakoma,

I've actually very recently drilled flexi hose, and i think it's gonna be difficult to get it to make a mist. I the rubbery consistancy makes it difficult to drill nice holes... Maybe you should consider getting those mist fittings you get at builders... Just don't know how much that would set you back?

how do you plan on making the holes? if drill, i think i used the thinnest you can get, and it doens't make a mist but rather a stream, esp under the high pressure...

just thorwing a few thought around...

10. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

Thanks, yes I see what you mean maybe I can use conduit and use flexi hose on the ends of the conduit. The hard pipe will be better to drill and I will be using the smallest drill bit I can find. Or maybe using a needel heated with pliers .

11. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

[​IMG]

It will look maybe like this I want to make the smallest holes possible .

[​IMG]

12. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

The 5 pipes will be 310 mm long each .

13. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

The pipes will be spaced like in the picture below measuring in at 200mm across at the ends. I will add some flexi hose that will loop the water through.

[​IMG]

14. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

Oh it will be 4 instead of 5

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and what about the salt spray?

How big is your system?

And how will you keep the salinity in check?

16. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

Well Riaan will be using this as a test only as I said before i will be using a small tank at first and will be running it through the summer with no live stock. I do not think they’re going to be a salt loss at all as the trickle filter evaporator will be completely wet and the bottom will have a water cover of about 6 cm deep. But i will be having a S.G. meter handy and record any changes in salinity. If there is a salt loss at that stage we can look at solving this problem.

17. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

If any salt loss it sou may should be the same type off loss you may find in a algae scrubber . Well it’s a theory needs some testing I think .

18. ScottK

ScottK

Considering you are going to be blowing fans at the water to promote evaporation it will be a lot higher than you would see with an algae scrubber I would have thought. Looks like you have most of the parts so will be a worthwhile experiment :)

19. nakoma

nakoma Thread Starter

Yes i do agree that is why it will be a experiment . I will be running the tank with pumps and everything you normaly run besides any live stock lets hope all goes well .

20. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

I wouldn't want to be the one tht has to drill that many holes!! :lol:

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Why spray the water into a mist then try to contain it again?

any airflow across a wet surface will cool that down. This cabinet is perfect for a scrubber. Will get SOOOOOO much more out of it. Cooling the tank and taking out extra nutrients. The open side you have already just place a 4*39W light unit or 4 25W CFL tubes there. Hang the screen in the middle. Just redrill the hole you got on the back side and drill 4 holes on the sides. Place fans in two blowing in, and let the other two be exits. Can even place a splash guard in front of the lights closing that big opening as well.

Recent Posts