Evaparation

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by nick_fraser, 17 Feb 2010.

1. nick_fraser

nick_fraser

Hi All

Not sure if I should be concerned or if other reefers have the results.
    I seem to be losing between 40 and 50l of water a week. That’s about 6% To 8% of my total volume.
    I don’t have a cover over my tank and my sump is also open and lives in the garage. I have checked for leaks but cant find any. My water temp is at 26 so in my I shouldn’t be losing that amount of water. I don’t have any Fans and there is no draft near my tank.
    My Biggest issue is not the fact that I am losing the water it is that I am still using tap water until I can get my RO Unit most likely next month and am worried about the amount of K*** I am adding to my tank.

Who else has this type of evaporation or should I keep looking for a leak?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. davidfr7

davidfr7

In the last week I have also lost alot, maybe 20L in 3 days,it's more than the norm for me. It sound like you got a leak!! I would not use tap water there is going to be a very big build and with that you going to have endless trouble

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I lost about 15 litres a day on my 500l setup, so yes it can be - depends on the humidity. You need to get a RO unit ASAP or see if you can buy water from a LFS or a fellow reefer, otherwise you'll end up with a lot of problems.

5. seank

seank

Just remember one thing- Colder temps have more evaporation- and who wants to argue????:gun_bandana:

6. Dane

Dane

That question is best answered by people that live in a similar climate. Whats the relative humidity of your area? Very dry? Does your tank have a very big surface area? Is there a lot of agitation at the water surface? All of these factors can certainly attribute to a lot of water loss.

Would definitely make getting RO water your priority tho. Is there a fish store you can buy from? Covering your sumps maybe? Make sure you are not compromising aeration of your water tho...

7. Dane

Dane

are you kidding?

8. seank

seank

Nope, not kidding. It is a fact.

9. maj

maj

i lose about 12litres evry 3 days,open top tank but my sump is closed up with algae scrubber.

10. Dane

Dane

My chemistry and physics training says otherwise... A water particle is able to escape liquid form and become vapour once is has enough kinetic energy. Higher temp = more kinetic energy. Are you thinking about vapour pressure?

I quote wikipedia for convenience not because I think its the most authoritative

Evaporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

im filling about 4 litres a day on my 360L

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yip, agree with Sean on this one ;)

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Well, I used more RO water during winter than in summer. Also noticed my evapouration is more at night than during the day.

14. Dane

Dane

I think what might be confusing the topic is that water vapour pressure is also a predominant factor controlling evaporation. To the degree that water vapour pressure effects may even eclipse those of temperature, but to my knowledge there is no real question that higher temps = more kinetic energy = easier liberation to a vapour phase...?

15. Bossi

Bossi

Kenetic enegy has nothing to do with liquid temp and air temp.

The statement/fact above just means that the water particles with enough built up kinetic energy escapes from the tank water into the atmosphere. This normally happen easier when the difference in water temp and air temp is higher/bigger. Thus on cold days the temp difference is higher/bigger thus more evaporation takes place. If you wanna get technical then humidity in the air also plays a part.

This is how i understand it from St 7 physics! :lol:

But i might be wrong!

Last edited: 17 Feb 2010
  16. seank

seank

Dane, I'm not into water particles etc, but what I've experienced as well as what I've read- I stick to my point:whistling:

17. Bossi

Bossi

Thanks Nick for starting thios thread.

I need to build a RO reservoir for my tank and this will be a great referemce to how much Ro water needs to be stored!

18. vatso

vatso

I am using like 6 lts a day - on my 250 lt tank :(

19. crispin

crispin

i'll go with sean on this one, and ummmm I KNOW!:) but stuff the kinetic energy of the particles etc, the colder temps here are caused by ice locking up the available moisture so that the relative humidity differncial is far greater and thus faster evaporation. And its very rapid here.

Great for drying fish and meat if you ahve a slightly warm area so it doesnt freeze though.

Sorry about the off topic Nick,

personally that rate sounds a little rapid and you maybe loosing water somewhere else than to evaporation. Look carefully as you are only replacing water and not salt, and if you have a water leak its salt water you are loosing and thus you MAY get changes in your SG!

Also please try make a plan with RO, tap water really will give you headaches down the line and its hell to correct algae growth and or cyno once it gets established.

20. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

i too lose alot everyday , and noticed that my salinity is now dropping.

21. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Heavy skimming also drops the salinity, you need to match it on a weekly basis when you do you water changes. I checked mine weekly after calibrating my refractometer.

Recent Posts