Eskom Power outages

Reaction score
:( Hi guys, havent had an outage yet.(new Tank). But how will the tank cope with all the Eskom power failures?. How many hours a day can the tank go without power.Should i get a generator ?Or am I over reacting.
I Have a 128 litre Boyu nano Tank. I Plan to build up a reef tank with a few fish .
Cheers Shane.

these Eskom power failures are causing severe damage to lotsa systems.mines been one of them.
if you can afford the gennie,go for it!

I haven't had a power outage for almost 2 weeks now.

The simplest would be to hook up a battery powered airpump, or you could get a USP for essential systems.

I haven't had a power outage for almost 2 weeks now.

Not so loud, someone from Eskom might hear.

Shane, I work for Eskom, what area you live in?

Jokes...LOL @ Moz

Thats just mean. Buy the way my location is incorrect I live in Durban:whistling:

Hello Everyone - hello Shane.... Yeah - this issue have been discussed quite a lot... BUT, must say, it seems that there are less blackouts around...

Shane - I got a car battery, intelligent charger, and a 12V power-head (to take over the water flow from my sump to my tank). This solution seems to work for me (I also have a gennie, for long-term power-failures, and IF I am at home when the failure occurs). "Normal" (read: cheap'ish) gennies don't switch on automatically. One have to manually start them....

And yes - failures are bad for our tanks, smaller tanks especially. My tank can last up to an absolute maximum of +-8-9 hours without electricity (without me having to switch on the 12V pump)....

Yours, will most likely last +- 2 hours MAX before things starts to go pear shaped...

Guys get ready for a March of hardship. The loadshedding is now moving to the residential grid for the next 30 days. The 10% that heavy industry has been rationed will now be shedded off us guys.

BEWARE

If the load shedding is only 2.5 hrs then not too much of a train smash if it runs longer we are in trouble. Guys the load shedding is coming back from March in a big way, so prepare now. Infact one of the essential items for a system is going to be back up power supply. This is not going to get better anytime soon.

i got myself one of those battery powered air pumps (R40.00) - no loss so far with 3hr shedding and i got myself a 90l tank.

Yip a generator seems to be in my future:(

What size should I look at to run the tank, (without chiller and lights) and my TV and a few lights and one plug for a pc to browse MASA.

Just heard on the news, Eskoms BRILLIANT NEW STRATEGY is longer powercuts less often. Exactly what we dont want!!!

Just heard on the news, Eskoms BRILLIANT NEW STRATEGY is longer powercuts less often. Exactly what we dont want!!!

I assume the guy who came up with that idea has already been promoted:whistling:

I wish Carte Blanche etc. would check if the big guys at Eskom have powercuts in their neighbourhoods.

Back
Top Bottom