Eskom hikes rates next year?

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by chikaboo, 7 Sep 2009.

1. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey all - anyone in municipalities or in the eskom industry know anything about this? I spoke to one of the chaps working in our local municipality here and said there's rumours of another 30/32% increase:whistling: early next year to have enough in the koffers before the 2010 matches start:(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mnd123

mnd123

Was at a Green IT summit a few weeks back and rumour has it this will kick in THIS YEAR not next, expect another 30% hike. Remember Eskom want to DOUBLE our electricity prices over the next 12 months from where they were in 2007.

4. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

My response to what you say is :(:P:lol::nono::whistling::biggrin::razz: which basically means I am at a loss for words and stumpped! WTF?

5. mnd123

mnd123

basically we have had some of the cheapest electricity in the world the last coupla decades, and because there was no investment in new infrastructure - we also have some of the dirtiest electricity, all coming from coal, bar the chaps in the Koeberg blast radius - so we need to build new infrastructure. Thus the hikes, Eskom needs to raise a ***huisvol cash to do it.

It was a long time coming Chiks, and we need to make like an Aussie sheep and brace ourselves, as the days of cheap sparks is gone.

6. Andreas

Andreas

I agree with you but what I'm battling to understand is why do we have to fork out so much more now to allow them to grow their infrastucture?Surely they need to invest and then resell the bigger capacity to new consumers and thereby make a return on the initial investment. Maybe I'm just a little wet behind the ears and dont know much about business but these huge increases just doesn't make sense:whistling:

7. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Have they thought this through or is it on the spur of the moment decision as maybe coz of the 2010 next year or maybe the lack of maintanance on their plants - Another 30% by end of this year??? I'm still in shock:lol:

8. brentnorm

brentnorm

It's immoral.

9. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Thr service delivery suck big time...and now another increase, yoh...:(

10. mnd123

mnd123

Mebe we should all learn to Toyi Toyi?

Viva Reefkeeping Viva, down with high elec prices viva

Like thats gonna help.... no chaps immoral or otherwise, we gonna have to bite the bullet on this one - I say switch off all other unnecessary kit, like the washing machine etc.

11. FransSny

FransSny

I heard they will be asking for almost 80 %.....maybe their way of making sure they get the 30 to 40 %

12. chikaboo

chikaboo Thread Starter

Ok guys need some confirmation here - just opened up my emails got one from from my cuz that is the IT wizard here in KZN Pietermaritzburg one of the government admin offices - Its a list of names that we are supposed to add ours to - kind of a petition for a bloody 53% increase by the end of the year - now I'm getting pi$$ed off! Anyone know of this? Dont worry I wont shoot the messenger of bad news!

Recent Posts