erratiC's 5ft Reef

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by erratiC, 29 Oct 2011.

1. erratiC

erratiC

Hey all,

After far too many questions on other people's threads I've decided to create my own thread with my own questions and planning ideas hoping that you guys can offer as much of your experience and suggestions as possible.

The tank was previously a bathwater tank that had a full house of 30 or so large (15-20cm) cichlids. And then in September 2010 my fiance and I went to Thailand where we did some snorkelling - that as they say was that - we were hooked. I got a Boyu TL-550 for that Christmas and it's been a smooth ride (touch wood) so far.

[​IMG]

I took out the entire bottom shelving section and replaced it with steel bracing - bought the Steel rods and got someone to weld it together for R1200. It was welded pretty darn well and then I coated it with Hammerite. Word to the wise, WEAR GLOVES! when you're working with Hammerite. I tried to clean the brushes after painting and I could not get the stuff off because it's silicone based. My black hands weren't popular at work........

The stand :

[​IMG]

DT Specs :

DT :

1500mm (l) x 500mm (w) x 600mm (h) with I think somewhere around 12mm - 15mm glass (Can't be too sure because it's got bracing on top that covers the glass that hides the thickness).
    Haven't drilled the overflow yet - hoping to keep this for last having not done any glass drilling before so I'm kak'ing myself thinking about doing it. Still have to decide on what/where to put it - loving the look of Leslie Hempel's overflow though so I might lean towards doing something close to his.

Total DT volume is 450L.

Lighting :

Still deciding between the Vertex Illumilux Range and the Aquabeam 1500 XG Ultima.

The Aquabeam 1500 XG Ultima Range -

I'll be getting 2 of the Aquabeam 1500 XG Ultima Reef White and 3 of the Aquabeam 1500 XG Ultima Aqua Blue LED sets.

These I'll probably be getting from the same Reefstore - I've got family to purchase it who will post it off to me. Working it out purchasing it from them will cost R12 180 excl. postage and customs. The same thing in SA will cost me around R18 000 excl. postage to Durban. I'll have to see what's cheaper in the long run between the two.

I'll probably settle on the Aquabeam range purely because the Vertex Illumilux range doesn't have a 1500mm long option :(

Sump Specs :

Hardware :

Reef Octopus OCTX-160 with a 2500L/H pump.
    Reef Octopus BR-110 NP Reactor with a 2500L/H Syncra Silent 2.5 pump.
    Return pump will be a 5000L/H Syncra Silent 5.0 (suggested by Marco, The Waterboy)

Sump Size :

Have a look at the below sketch. I'm getting the glass on Monday for R450 ex. vat - I'll be gluing it as soon as I get it.

[​IMG]

I'm still getting everything together so the next thing will be to get the return pump, the piping and the drill bit/knowledge to drill the tank then I have to get the LR - so if anybody is willing to sell me about 50KGs in the next month or two it would be appreciated.

I'll be dosing vodka daily along with various other additives - wanting to keep softies, SPS and LPS. Still researching on the additives so I'll get back to you on that.

Thanks everyone for the all the help so far and I'm hoping to be a member of MASA for a very long time coming.. loads of questions to come I promise :tt2:.

Cheers.

PS. I do have a decent camera so you'll be expecting more pics soon!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. oceanic boy

oceanic boy

Beautiful bud

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

good luck with the tank. i am looking forward to watching this tank progress!

5. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Ah, silly me - Flow!

Am going to get an Ecotech Vortech MP40W ES soon also from Reefstore but what with it being Christmas it's going to be a tight one. Hopefully I'll be able to find it elsewhere cheaper before I get it from them.

When cycling, is it necessary to have flow going in your DT?

Another question, completely unrelated to flow... my sump is going to be around 50L - the return pump is rated up to 5000L/H... am I going to have problems with the amount of water that my overflow can provide? Or not?

6. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Thanks guys... I'm looking at doing it properly the first time with zero skimping! Hopefully one day it'll be as good as some of the other tanks on Masa.

7. oceanic boy

oceanic boy

You onto a good start bud... Vortech is excellent and you wont be going wrong... A bit of advice, take your time with your tank..as you know marine is an expensive hobby but is worth every cent. Read up as much as possible on equipment, additives, corals etc...

8. Tridan

Tridan

you dont need to dose vodka with a np pellet reactor. dosing a carbon source needs to be properly understood, it has a huge effect on bacterial growth etc etc (on my phone right now so its a pita to type) i will pass you more info tomorrow if you still need it.

By the way sounds like a awesome setup.

9. Michael B

Michael B

sounds like a great set-up - look forward to tagging along

10. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

When I think about it properly - running a NP Reactor and dosing Vodka seems a bit reduntant seeing as they both remove NO3 and PO4...

Thanks Tridan.

11. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Thanks Michael, hope you enjoy the ride :)

12. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

all the best man take it nice and slow

13. Q89

Q89

Looks like its going to be a awesome setup, tagging along.

And remember

[​IMG]

14. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Hehe, with Christmas around the corner I've got no choice but to take it slow :)

Shot dude and pics are otw :p

15. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Hey, can anybody help me with the above two questions? :whistling:

16. Tremayn

Tremayn

sounds good man :)

17. Tridan

Tridan

on your sump to get a total volume of 50l you are only using the compartments that are marked 300, there are two of them, the compartment marked 200 is that for atu.

I reckon you will have a prob i just cant see 50l sustaining that return pump, even with head loss and pipe constriction, maybe drop the pump down to 3000lph or get a bigger sum.

Maybe if that 200 section is atu, leave it out and set up your atu reservoir remote, that would give you a bit more water volume

It is advised to have flow while cycling, it oxygenates the water, i would not cycle without atleast some flow.

18. Tridan

Tridan

19. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Thanks Tremayn :thumbup:

That's exactly what I wanted to confirm. Yes, that 200mm section was for my atu. Was kinda hoping I could get some space in my sump area around the actual sump for all the test kits and bottles of additives because I'm also planning on getting an automatic doser with all the brighwells additives.

Would lowering the pump rate have an impact on the DT? I've read that you should turn your tank 5 times/hour so 3000L/h would still be good.

Lots to think about still...

Muchos gracias for the vodka link - I've got a link to one on RC but you can never have enough to read, hey.

20. Tridan

Tridan

Honestly i would take out the shelf and partitions in your stand, they are a pita, that would also give you more space for a bigger sump.:)

Recent Posts