Eric Borneman - Fragging Techniques

Reaction score
Great clip...........

Only one thing............ tile saw makes a hell of a spray and Eric makes a great point about gloves........ what about safety glasses as the eyes absorb at the greatest rate of all body tissue.

Worth remembering I think

Reaction score
Great clip...........

Only one thing............ tile saw makes a hell of a spray and Eric makes a great point about gloves........ what about safety glasses as the eyes absorb at the greatest rate of all body tissue.

Worth remembering I think
True, but i don't think I would ever get into mass fragging, where you would need those saws.

Reaction score
The bits I found interesting:

How poison Zoanthids are.

When fragging Acropora, they are mounted sideways. In a storm/hurricane the coral would break off and fall to a position sideways. So mounting branches/frags sideways is more natural plus increases growth hectically.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I think that very few reefers have electric tile saw's lying around. They would be more likely to use cutters (hand-held) or even dremmel type precision cutters.

BUT, point being - care must be taken to be extremely careful of any possible toxic substances that might be excreted in the process...

Reaction score
The one thing I cannot get to work like EB. Mounting frags with superglue. maybe the yanks have different glue. I have tried with my sick birdsnest and just never bonds probably. Eventually used epoxy.

Reaction score
The one thing I cannot get to work like EB. Mounting frags with superglue.
Use Super Glue Gel, comes in the same tube as the regular super glue and can be bought at most supermarkets.
Apply a couple of dots of gel, wait about 30 seconds and then press and hold the frag onto the spot for another 30 seconds. Instant bond.

Works well for smallish frags. Bigger frags I find that epoxy works better.

Reaction score
Hi Warr - I believe that the gel super glue works the best. Not the standard runny/watery type
Well I must be doing something, wrong. I even went and got the glue EB endorses - Loctite gel. It works but not really good.

Anyway the epoxy is insanely strong.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr,

I also found superglue not working too well. But then I started being more patient and taking longer by more maticulously drying the area to be glued. And letting it sit for a few minutes. Then I started seeing that it actually works great.

Don't worry, your frags will be ok out of the water for a while. Good luck.