epsom salt for treatment of bloated fish

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by 4age, 24 May 2013.

1. 4age

4age

Hi guys

I have a question regarding the use of epsom salt in marine tanks..have a regal angel whose stomach has bloated up a bit and stopped eating...it was a healthy eater before and is still swimming around tank and looking at food but not eating...fish was quarantined before to get it eating so was very healthy..i suspect that the bits could have blocked intestine (seen this often on wild caught malawis which were fed bits which then swell up in gut) i want to transfer it back to QT and administer metronidazole and also use epsom salt for the laxative effect it has (used it succesfully on wild freshwater cichlids as well)..will it be of any use in saltwater and is there anything i need to look out for before i add the epsom salt..

i just need the fish to K@K out whatever is blocking the gut..i know it will recover once this is done as this angel was doing very well. its not stressing at all

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I'm not sure Epsom salts will work for your fish as its essentially magnesium sulphate ... magnesium is found plenty in the sea / reef tank and adding more will not make a difference . sulphate on the other hand also won't work as its not a laxative and excessive amounts can harm your reef. Google research tells me that you nned to feed the fish with high fibre foods and defenetly not flakes or pellets or frozen dried food for few days while treatment is ongoing . for fresh water tanks they recommend feeding peas as they are natural laxative for the fish perhaps worth a try if you can make your angel to eat peas

4. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Mushy Peas? No fish & chips?
    @4age yes we use to use epsom salts for bathwater fish but don't think it'll work for SW fish.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. 4age

4age Thread Starter

unless I think out the box here..drop salinity to hypo n use Epsom. .should have better effect won't it?

6. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

the problem is that Epsom salt is just magnesium to which SW fish are quite used to .. don't think it will help unless the sulphate in the Epson can act as a laxative

7. Xenobalistes

Xenobalistes

Logic and science says it will not work.

8. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Nope, wont work. I use a mixture of magnesium sulphate (epsom salt) & magnesium chloride to dose to keep magnesium levels on par. You would have to add a massive amount of epsom to even get an effect as a laxative... & the result will simply be an overdose of magnesium (possibly lethal to some creatures) to the tank...

How do you know your fish is bloated???
    As far as i know, marine fish have pretty tough digestive systems...

Last edited: 24 May 2013
  9. weezle

weezle

For me this is very interesting!
    Last year I had a yellow angel that began bloating, the fish was still eating normaly but
    After a few days it began to rely bloat up and after a total of about two weeks it died.
    I now have a cole tang that has had a bloated stomache for about three weeks now
    Could this not be some sort of worm or other parasite?

Recent Posts