Epoxy

Reaction score
Hi I have to modify my skimmer that I got from a friend to use for the meanwhile until I saved enough money for my TS2.
Can I use Epoxy to glue a pipe to a flat surface or is epoxy toxic to fish.

You can indeed use epoxy on the outside of the skimmer, BUT MAKE SURE that the epoxy has been cured for a while, before using it..... It must be completely dry.

Some people actually use epoxy to bond their live rock and corals together....

BUT there are certain preferences to the types of epoxy used....

And definitely the Pratley type wins by far.....

(Not the ABI type).... :)

I need to glue a piece of pipe on the inside of the skimmer to try and stop the water from leaking between the collection cup and the skimmer.

How long till you can put rock back in tank and do you have to clean epoxy joins ?

Leave it out for an hour or so if need be, you can do small amount inside the tank, the epoxy hardens under water. (just dont do to much at once)

The only thing with this is that you have to make sure that the "epoxy" is dry/cured.... So depends on the type of "epoxy" that you use. As I said - I am not too sure if the ABE epoxy (not ABI - sorry) is correct for reefs - BUT I definitely know that Pratley Putty and the like has been used for a very long time. I think curing takes about 30 to 45 minutes (in which you should probably keep the live rocks wet by usig old tank water).....

The only thing with this is that you have to make sure that the "epoxy" is dry/cured.... So depends on the type of "epoxy" that you use. As I said - I am not too sure if the ABE epoxy (not ABI - sorry) is correct for reefs - BUT I definitely know that Pratley Putty and the like has been used for a very long time. I think curing takes about 30 to 45 minutes (in which you should probably keep the live rocks wet by using old tank water).....

Is this the grey/brown epoxy that you mix the two compounds together ?

I am not sure if pratley putty will be strong enough for my application.
I have the Pattex epoxy.
I will rather get the Pratley epoxy or ABE one.

Thanks

use pvc glue , the bostik version is great, if your pipe needs shapingto fit curvature of skimmer use a file to shape it prior to glueing

use pvc glue

Agreed, if you want to stick another piece of PVC to it. Any other material, Pratley's normal set putty sets very well under water, and is safe to use directly in your tank, if needed. Alternatively Pratley's epoxy (white quick-set) is safe after it has set. A third alternative is the good ols stick everything Bostic marine silicon (NOT bath, shower, or any of the other types, they contain fungicides, etc...).

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom