Enriching frozen brine shrimp

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hi all

We all know how non nutritional brine shrimp is, so I was thinking of the following.

I want to defrost one of those blister packs of frozen brine shrimp, mix it all together, drain off the excess liquid, then soak the brine shrimp in a vitamin solution (Selcon) for about 2 or 3 hours, place it back into the blister pack cubes and refreeze it.

Would it be worthwhile to do something like this or is it a waste of time?

This is the blister pack I am talking about

FoodPrep2.jpg

Dean stop being lazy, break off the amount you want to feed, defrost, drain and then soak in Selcon for 15 odd minutes and feed. The reason for this is vitamins will start to break down in the freezer, so try feed them as fresh as possible for max effect.

Dean i feed live adult brine gut loaded on invert banquit can drop some off for you to try if you want?

Thanks Calvin but I am way too lazy to hatch shrimp :p If I get a difficult fish that doesn't want to feed I will definitely give you a shout, thanks.

Where do you get those blister packs from - I only get the ones that look like chocolate bars?

Dean i feed live adult brine gut loaded on invert banquit can drop some off for you to try if you want?
Come to think of it, isn't Invert Banquet a food for corals? Why you loading your shrimp on coral food? Your poor fish are gonna go all stiff and start looking like stick corals :razz:

Don't know if anyone sells Selcon locally, and if there is someone please let us know.

Dean where did you get yours from ?

Sorry guys, I have no idea where to get Selcon from :p it was just the first name that popped into my head that is a vitamin supplement. I have used the waterlife vitamin supplement before and will use it again, can't remember the name of it though.

Howzit guys! Just goes to show the fragmentation in information quality..... I have heard and read something else about blood worms - that they should not be fed on a continual basis - more like a "treat" every now and again...

On another note - Dean - I have tried something else, and both my fish as well as my corals seem to LOVE this (first time for me, sure other have been doing this for a LONG LONG time already): I bought one packet "Seafood mix" and one packet "Mussel meat" at the local Pick-n-Pay. I then blended the whole mix for about 30 minutes in the blender (while adding tank-water to the mix, to assist with the blending).... I then put this stinking goo in tupperware in the freezer, and scrape/brake some off when I feed. And now when I feed my tank this mixture the fish go MAD for this stuff. And the nice thing is that the "juice" is so fine, that the corals also go MAD when they get this stuff in their little pinchers :)

What do you think about this? Anyone else have any input/comment on this?
Thanks - Jacques

Back
Top Bottom