Enough LR?

Reaction score
Hi Experts,
This is my 1 day old tank ? Do you think I have sufficient LR????
8674839ec7d3459f.jpg

Nope, I would suggest at least doubling the amount you have.

Other than being a really nice display part of the tank, Live Rock as the name suggests is a piece of rock that is a live. So it is great for natural filtration and will be vitally important in keeping your water parameters stable.

You can never have enough LR ;)

Just to clarify, you can have too much live rock (in which case it grossly obstructs flow in your tank leading to detritus build up etc etc). Many nano websites advise roughly 500g of LR per gallon of water. Your BOYU is 34g so roughly 17kg of LR is advised.

*Note this is just what I have read, I do personally stick to this rule just about.

With all do respect to my friends here,;) I disagree. That is more than enough live rock in that size tank. There will be more than enough biological filtration to sustain your tank when it is stocked with fish/corals etc. Most people tend to underestimate the filtration capacities of LR. If you think you need more, rather add a dsb in the sump area.
With the aquascape you have now, you will have fantastic water flow (very important) and you will be giving your corals great space to grow into good looking colonies.
Also remember that some corals you buy will come attached to a piece of live rock, so you should allow for that as well. I think it’s looking great.

Wow, thanks for all the input!!!

It was very clear just before i read mille's bit, also made good sense.

What I will do I just find one more piece to try and scape a cave ??

Thanks guys

I agree with mille about the filtration capacity. However I think it's just looks rather empty at the moment :p

Sammy: My advice would be to buy a good quality porous piece of liverock. Less is more hehe ;)

Hi guys, just added some LR ?? 3 weeks onto cycle, water and all seems very good, 1 cleaner shrimp in and doing great.

1000's of pods ???

Do you think i have enough LR ???

cheers mik, so exited about all the pods, copepods or amphipods dont know which ? but all seem good !!!

Back
Top Bottom