enough lighting

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by wookie, 9 Oct 2014.

1. wookie

wookie

Morning guys just a general inquiry about my lighting, is it enough as i have a 4 ft tank with t5 quad and have 1 atinique blue and 3 reef whites 54watts. I have lps and sps corals and was just wondering is this adequate for these guys. TIA.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Omnitank

Omnitank

It should be enough, just replace the tubes about every 6 -8 months, as they tend to loose their efficiency. I assume that the tank is not deeper than 600

4. Dian6430

Dian6430

Im really no expert when it comes to T5 but what I have seen and red is that your bulb choice might be a bit off. So when you maybe start replacing them you can change the colours. ill see if I can find the link to the thread. Was also for a quad unit but maybe @RiaanP or @carlosdeandrade can help so long

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

T5's are great. Like @Omnitank asked "how deep is the tanK?" Bring in another actinic (colours will "POP"), and a blue or coral plus. What globes are you running? Most T5 can run for 12 months, the better ones like ATI and Geissmann run for 15-18 months (depending on temp, length of daylight).

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

most obvious parameter is, how deep is your tank. Or better phrased. How high is your rock stack. So how far is the corals from the light. Take into account certain corals that should be placed on the substrate, they should still receive between 150 and 200 PAR.

3 whites would help more with coral growth, but would not help a lot to make the colors pop.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

what you can use is the coral plus tubes, they emit the blue spectrum but appear white/12k to our eyes..

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Lighting is such a contentious issue. The amount of water you have for the light to penetrate will make a vast difference.
    BUDGET too.
    In the end, a SPS likes better light, but if you have poor water, the SPS/LPS (hey, even softies) will die/stn. I have brilliant LED/T5 combos on my tank that is only 500mm deep. Do I lose corals? YEAH, if parameters are out of check then your LS will die.

GET GOOD LIGHTING, GOOD SKIMMER. Test, PATIENCE is key. IF it's a NEW tank, start easy move to harder until you have a older tank.

10. rakabos

rakabos

I had an interesting experience. I have a frag tank, 60cm long, water probably 30cm deep or so. Ran one white 54w t5 over it, zoas and such. They were happy as can be. I then made a led unit with blue and white mixed leds and only ran that over it, 42w total. They didnt open as much anymore, pretty much sulking from what i can see. Yesterday morning i put the t5 back on, alongside the led.

This morning they were happy campers, all wide open. So the theory about light is pretty much more is MORE

Recent Posts