Engine room and tank photos

Reaction score
Good day all

Here are some photos (I hope - first time to try and upload images) of my new (sump powered) tank - after all you broke my arm off to can the canister filter. I did find a job for my R1200 canister though: it now holds the position to pump water from the sump, through a spraybar over my filter media. I am thinking of connecting a UV Filter on it as well. Please tell me whether you think I am now on the right track.

I am also still getting a few small patches of nusance algae and green algae on the glass - even though PO4, N03, NO2 and NH3 and NH4 are all on 0.0

Normal?

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

Reaction score
Seems like it. Don't know how to do it then. I uploaded the images at the "image upload" menu and then copied the URL's in the post. Any advice?

Reaction score
Cool stuff :D

What is the plant-looking thing in the back left of the tank ?

Reaction score
Its a plant like thing... :lol:

No, its is huge algae. Not sure what the scientific name of it is though. Some form of calcareous algae (spelling?)

Quite cool though. My hermit crabs dig riding the leaves for some reason.

dallasg

Reaction score
looks good, water level in tank and sump could be a little more :)

Reaction score
Poblem is I have the outlet hole on the side of the tank. 40mm hole. The pump in the sump is a bit small and I am planning on upgrading on payday. Logical mathemetics says that IF I push more water into the tank, the level will raise and thus the 40ml hole will then also be fed more - thus using the whole 40mm and not half of it as it is doing now.

On the subject of sump water level... If you submerge your filter media, aren't you then defeating the whole aerobic bacteria concept - as they will be flooded under the water level. That is the reason why I am using the spraybar as a trickle system - to promote aerobic bacteria.

dallasg

Reaction score
what i did for my overflow was add an elbow piece turned up, so it raised the level enuff for me, u can see it on my thread...

spot on for the bacteria, there is no wrong or right way, just do what works for you.
some will say its a nitrate trap, then just add a DIY algae scrubber, i run a combination of everything and will see what the future holds

Reaction score
Ingenous!!! Why I didn't think of the elbow move is beyond me. Thanks!!!

But wait, you used the words "nitrate trap..." Is / can the setup I am using be a nitrate trap or the "flooded" type?

Why I am asking is as you read I do have a bit of algae issues even though my NO3 is at 0 and my PO4. Can this be due to the "nitrate trap"? Will it be worth my while then to have an algae scrubber?

dallasg

Reaction score
some say that the submerged media can collect ditrius and thus cause nitrates, instead of removing what you have, adding a algae scrubber can also reduce the nitrates in your water and remove algae in the tank, there is a thread mega nitrate remover, read thru it

dallasg

Reaction score
what i would add is a dsb, will make things more stable