Energy Efficient Systems

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by bluefronted, 21 Jan 2010.

1. bluefronted

bluefronted

Hi Guys,

With the cost of Electricity to go up by almost 100% within the next 36 months and further increases thereafter most of us will need to consider more energy efficient systems.

I'm busy planning a new setup and was surprised to find out how much energy (watts) some of the items consume such a MH Lights, Chillers, etc.

With regards to MH Lights can flourescents do the same trick ?

Any idea what the average skimmers and return pumps are rated at ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. vatso

vatso

it seems only pumps are "cheap" on watts

lights like T5's are better then T8's but on still needs a number of watts per liter if you want to keep SPS and some other stuff.

it all comes down to size :(

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Look at some tunze products they have some of the best energy efficent products around.

5. inflames

inflames

Hi Bluefronted!

The energy consumption is always a factor. It is the long term running costs that determine the upfront setup costs. Lighting is the main part of the consumption of any tank, and yes one can use t8 or better for marine would be T5, BUT it depends on what you keep in your tank. If you are gonna do FOWLR then lighting requirements would not really need to be MH. MH is a requirement for allot of corals and Anemones.

I managed to get my hands on 70watt MH. Which works out to consume allot less electricity and because I have 2 of them the light spread is better than one 150watt MH. One factor that can bring down your electricty spent on lighting is the depth of your tank, if you decide to keep corals or an anemone that need MH lighting, you could not get away with just T5 or T8 lighting. They might "survive" but will not flourish and eventually die.

Allot of guys will talk about watts per litre and par ratings and so on... but from an electricity consumption on lighting, perhaps decide on the lighting 1st and then get lifestock that suits your lighting! Allot of guys (including myself) dont research all the stuff properly before heading out to get all this hardware, only to find out later that upgrade is needed, or the corals require more light then we have.

Example:

4 x 54watt T5 is 216 watt total consumption an hour. This would be on a 4 foot tank, depth would be 50cm. More than enough for FOWLR. quiet a few soft corals could be kept with this lighting. Mushrooms, zoa's ...no nennie!

2 x 54watt T5 and 2 x 70watt MH is 254watts total, again the foor foot tank, 50cm deep.

2 x 150watt MH is 300watt total, again in a four foot tank, 50cm deep, yet the corals you could keep would differ.

General consensus is the deeper tha tank the more your lighting requirements in the form of watts. So keep it shallow and the lighting requirements decrease. So keep the tank depth in mind when buying as it also effects the cost of your lighting!

As far as pumps go, I have 5000ltr/h Sunsun Pumps x 3. 6watt each. Return powerhead for my sump 2000ltr/hour is 18watt. Really not breaking the bank!

Hope this helps!

jacquesb and Andreas like this.
  6. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

If you are building a big system the reef flow pumps are very power effective(for closed loops or return pumps)...and if you restrict the flow then you restrict the power consumption too...pretty cool.

For in tank flow....Tunze would be the best regarding power

Regarding skimmers then....big systems...Bubble blasters skimmers or the new cones...only use one pump of 40w (can do really big systems)

Power consumption regarding MH...will be electronic ballasts...otherwise go t5's.

You want to limit the wattage of the pumps that run 24/7. you will safe much more in the long run.(like the blaster pumps ect ect)

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I agree with inflames....

there are big advantages for MH and for T5, it just depends on what you are wanting to achieve

8. neo

neo

Lanzo,
    how do you restrict the flow, physically or electric? if phys then your power consumption will be same, even more cause pump must work harder to push the water through the restriction ?

9. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

The on the outflow you place a ball valve.....this is the only pump on your market that does this....pretty cool....no more back pressure that one can place on these pumps

will post a pic of a big boy now

10. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A tank itself, only these are the big consumers
    • Chillers
    • Greater than 150w metal halides
    • Some return pumps. Here you must compare the wattage used against the flow given. Some pumps are pretty inefficient.
    You will save more on electrical cost if you
    • Put a blanket on your geyser
    • or better get a solar geyser (but setup cost is stupid)
    • use your washing machine more effective, bigger loads, less wash cycles, cold wash only.
    • Do not use your tumble dryer.
    • Do not use all 4 plates on the stove at the same time.

12. bluefronted

bluefronted Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

I will concentate on lighting , depth of the tank and species.:thumbup:

13. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I notice on the label that the frequency (HZ) rating is 60Hz - this would thus be for the US electrical supply. Our lower frequency (50Hz) would result in the same pump being less efficient, and having a lower water flow rate and lower total head. Has anyone actually tested the ratings with our 230V 50Hz supply?

Hennie

14. Quintus

Quintus the irish aXeman

Guys. if electricity is such an issue then convert to a off grid inverter and a separate charger, depending on what you use, say about a 1500W modified sine wave. the power used to run the tank will be taken from the batteries processed through the inverter.
    the only electricity u will be using that you pay for will be used from the charger and will vary little depending on how fast your batteries drain.

15. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hennie - look to the right (on the far most right side) of the pic - you will see the South African specs.....

One question though - this pump is like the Spec pump that I used - has wattage usage of 400 watts (1/4 horsepower) - or am I mistaken with my logic??
    400 watt's is still HUGE compared to a few SunSun's inside the tank, that only uses ie. 6 watts each? (at 5000 litres per hour each?)

16. SynysterGates

SynysterGates

At 9 feet pressure you're getting 5000GPH for your 375watts... thats pretty efficient in my books

17. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

17400l/h 191w 5.3 max height:yeahdude:

18. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

I had that same idee(i had a guy here that qouted me on a x2 battery packs prop for the wind and the charger....so if there is no wind to to charge the batteries...one can charge it directly from the escom power....saves allot of money)....im going to do that in the future:)

19. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

hi hennie....the pumps power supply has been changed for our 50hz:)

So it will work exactly the same

20. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

seems like a kickass pump lanzo:taz:

21. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Great pumps....riaan will give us feed back on the super dart gold....hill e picking it up today

There are 2 smaller pumps:

super dart gold 13459l/h 116w 3m max height
    Barracuda gold 14600l/h 166w 4.7m height

nice thing is you get a 3year warranty

Recent Posts