energy efficient FO setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by finch, 7 Dec 2009.

1. finch

finch

hi everyone! lots of random questions. i'm planning to set up my aquarium again and want to do fish only. i chose FO because the price of electricity, running power hungry lights to keep some corals happy etc - the energy consumption of the lights alone is scary. then theres still all the other equipment. electricity wastage is a hot topic in our house.

so my first problem comes in at the lighting - i want a large variety of algae growing in the DT - especially that pink one (coralline algae i think) . does coraline algae have specific lighting requirements like coral does? so i need low wattage lighting. i'm planning to use about 200 blue LEDs for aesthetics and night display.

My other question is, would a DSB eventually serve the same purpose or function as live rock, with the surface area and all(as live rock or live sand is used to seed a DSB)?
    another Q... i'v read about how important water flow is in your setup, and areas becoming stagnant - but would this "stagnation" be a problem in a DSB.? would this mean i could run a DSB in DT also without an undergravel filter. i understand the importance of having no oxygen in a DSB

i hope i wrote this in the right place:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. finch

finch Thread Starter

heres the goods. has since become storage space. shame[​IMG]

4. finch

finch Thread Starter

anyone have any ideas on running an aquarium efficiently?

5. magman

magman

hi everyone! Hi and welcome lots of random questions. i'm planning to set up my aquarium again and want to do fish only. i chose FO because the price of electricity, running power hungry lights to keep some corals happy etc, there is some softies you can get where you don't need that much light - the energy consumption of the lights alone is scary. then theres still all the other equipment. electricity wastage is a hot topic in our house. if you want fo only, then I would say 2 blue and 2 white T5's, you could even go one of each

so my first problem comes in at the lighting - i want a large variety of algae growing in the DT - especially that pink one (coralline algae i think) . does coraline algae have specific lighting requirements like coral does? so i need low wattage lighting. i'm planning to use about 200 blue LEDs for aesthetics and night display. I would rather go for 54w T5's, they put good light for their wattage, and for all types of good and bad algea, you need lighting.

My other question is, would a DSB eventually serve the same purpose or function as live rock, with the surface area and all(as live rock or live sand is used to seed a DSB)? The DSB would take a lot longer to be effective, up to six months I think, but I believe is better for nitrate conversion, I think for LR to be that effective, the pieces have to be big as it is only the centre of the LR piece that converts the LR (I stand for correction here)
    another Q... i'v read about how important water flow is in your setup, and areas becoming stagnant - but would this "stagnation" be a problem in a DSB.? would this mean i could run a DSB in DT also without an undergravel filter. i understand the importance of having no oxygen in a DSB In side the DT you want strong flow all over, depending what you want to keep, for FO i would guess a min of 25x flow, over your DSB (your return flow) you want the flow to be a bit slower so that it gives the DSB time to work, you do not want hectic flow through your sump, flow should rather be hectic inside the DT to keep waste suspended. I think for SPS you want 50 to 100x flow.

i hope i wrote this in the right place:whistling:

Welcome to MASA, the forum is always a bit quieter on a monday.

6. finch

finch Thread Starter

cool, thanks! though i dont understand why the water flow over the DSB is sooo vital, i mean dont you need enough just to get the waste into the DSB,let it settle and let the critters do there thing to the waste.. if it went too fast the gunk would just return straight into the DT. or am i missing something

7. Annoying

Annoying

Ya you got it.

Recent Posts