Emperor

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by WAYNE HEATHCOTE, 12 Jun 2009.

1. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE CHOPPY

QUICK QUESTION.
    WHENEVER I FEED MY FISH ,THE EMPEROR SEEMS TO GET BIG BLOTCHES ON HIS BODY.is this due to stress from having to fight for food or stress related? the emperor eventually gets his colour back and seems ok ,but this has been happening for a while now and nobody has given me a reason why this occurs. besides the discolouring he also gets big white spots on his forehead which appear and disapear for no reason .
    please help

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Fish do change colours for various reasons like aggresion, high lighting to try and blend, camouflage and courtship. Yours might be a sign of aggresion to get at food

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

That sounds like the MOST plausible reasoning, Tony. Unless you (Wayne) are feeding the fish some food that they don't really like? Dunno?

5. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

sounds spot on :)

6. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

WAYNE HEATHCOTE Thread Starter CHOPPY

The angel does have to complete with a trigger and a very greedy coachman
    I try feed them a variety of food
    nori, tuna ,prawn or shrimp,mussels,calamari and rob gave me some frozen vitamin enriched food

where can i get proper angel prepared food?
    plett does'nt have a petshop that sell marine food ,would tropical fish flakes be ok

the trigger is easy to please as he eats any meaty items i give them,he especilly likes mussels
    the coachman is also not fussy,but im worried that the angel is not getting enough food (i feed twice a day)or not enough greens in his diet as nori is the only green food i can offer
    thanx for your help

7. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

The food you are feeding is fine Wayne! Not too sure about Tuna though, I have no experience with it, but I with it is fine.

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I too would think that the food you feeding should me more than fine. I would just add some nori into the mix for them!

Wayne - can you get "pods" from the rock pools in Plet? And perhaps some fresh mussels? And/or rock clams?

9. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

I Go To Natures Valley Often And There Are Huge Rock Pools And Plenty Of Mussels(even Got A Licence In Case The Parks Board Fine Me)im Not Sure What Pods Are But I Will Look It Up.
    Would I Be Able To Feed Them The Seaweed That Also Grows There?
    I Also Noticed That My Emperor Looks Like His Stomach Is Shrinking
    How Do I Tell If He Is Fat And Healthy?

10. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

fish too big for tank

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would anybody be interested in helping me swop the fish i have in the tank for some smaller ,hardier fish
    The reason for this is that i have been told that they have outgrown the tank
    Dont get me wrong i am very fond of my babies ,but i would much rather have them live out the rest of their lives in a larger, more suitable tank(especially the coachman)
    If anybody is willing to swop some damsels ,gobies ,blennies,pseudochromis etc...that would be great
    please help my fish find a better home
    any help or advice is much appreciated

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi wayne I have a 2m fish only tank that I can help you out with but first tell me how big are the 3 fish? I have a blue damsel with half yellow diagonally down the middle that I can swop with you have tons of blennies and gobies even some grey damsels with a yellow and grey spot on the top of them will try to pm u some pics - As for chromis I have six blue chromis but dont want to split them as they do well together swimming all over together and seem totally confused if one strays from the shoal! Going through your previous posts the fish look like they all about 20-30cm's but try to get me some exact sizes - I have tons of space available for them - Thanx

Last edited: 15 Jun 2009
  12. WAYNE HEATHCOTE

fish too big for tank

hi thanks for the quick reply
    the coachman is approx 25to30cm(alot of people have mentioned that they have not seen one as big when diving)
    the emperor is 15 to 20cm and the trigger 10 to 15 cm but i will try get more exact measurements when i go to work tonite
    of all the fish the coachman is the most desperate
    the fish u discribe are perfect as they are small and i can add quite a few to the tank due to their size and that would make the tank alot more active
    please advise me on the tranportation of fish as i dont know what are the best ways to do it
    will get in touch with u soon
    thanx again:thumbup:

13. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Not the best idea. You don't want to add the yellow and blue damsels now as they are extremely territorial. If you add them at all, do so as the last fish to go into the tank, once the other fish have established their territory. As for adding a sergeant major to the tank :nono: sis chickaboo:nono:

14. Boendoe

Boendoe

Yip those are nasty little fish.

15. chikaboo

chikaboo

I even said that about the blue damsel and was told the very same thing in the pet shop but I think these two blue damsels were on holiday when God was instructing blue damsels on territorial behaviour and are we talking about these fish are sergeant major that are commonly known as Abby's - mine dont give me any trouble but then again one is about 2 cm and the other about 3 and the last one about 5cm's as for the blue damsels both are about 5cm's will try to get some pics loaded tomorrow to confirm then if as for blennies and gobies there are about 10 in my tank ranging from 2cms untill about 10cm's but then again I have plenty hiding spaces for all the fish not to terrorised and a DSB in my 2m display so plenty of sand for the gobies to sift Who has had bad experiences with these fish?

Recent Posts